Gaming bottleneck....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Gaming bottleneck....

Gaming bottleneck....

The system: Win98 on AMD K6-2 400mhz on Matsonic 6260s 1mb cache, 48mb PC100 ram, 16mb Quantum 3d Raven AGP (Voodoo Banshee), SB AWE64 ISA, 16x Funai CD-Rom, 1gb and 500mb (C and D respectively) Western Digital HDDs.

I just upgraded from SB 16, and went 64 because I was told that the AWE 64 was the best you could get for windows and full dos support (I love cheap old dos games that I get for $5 a pop). I notice a small sound quality difference between the 64 and 16, which is nice, but I don't seem to get any more speed in Games like Quake 2. I have been getting tiny (barely noticeable but bothersome to a perfectionist) stutters in sound (Quake 2 3d now optimized), and choppy pauses in video in the Kingpin demo. Any guesses as to where the bottleneck is?

im guessing its either the video card, the processor or both. I have a K6-2 333 o/c to 380 and a V3 2000 o/c to 166 and I get stuttering in the kingpin video also, usually I get a little skip in the video and the talking. Quake2 I dont have a problem, so that might be your video card. But kingpin is probably the processor, I also have a AWE64, good card. Kingpin recommends a PII 300 and 128 megs of ram to play optimally, if you upgrade your ram youll be much better off guaranteed. That could also be your problem too, is the lack of 128 megs of ram, every gamer into 3d games now a days should have no less than 128 megs of ram if you can help it, the difference from 64 to 128 is huge, my system I just described beat my friends o/c celeron at 450 and a V3 3000 in kingpin because he didnt have 128 megs of ram at the time, now he does and it kicks my *** hardcore.

Another thing I would look on getting a bigger hard drive with UDMA 33 support, that 1 gig hard drive and 500 meg hard drive are really going to hold you back on transfer rate, and loading speeds.
    ------------------
    Vidfreek: The master Wizard.
    Visit us at members.xoom.com/wizardofcomp

[This message has been edited by Vidfreek (edited 08-04-99).]
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Thanks for the reply....I thought about the HDD thing being the problem, but most folks in the stores have told me I should have enough ram. I think it prolly is ram and HDD, because the vidcard should be fast enough (it gets good frame rates) and I have been told by several shops that the AWE64 is a great card and should last me a while. I just don't want to hear....oh get a celery or tnt....I got the AMD and Banshee for reasons....Price and speed....and a general disdain for intel.

Thread Information