bad news for NV10 & Voodoo4 ???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: bad news for NV10 & Voodoo4 ???

bad news for NV10 & Voodoo4 ???

looks like the Glaze 3D is going to market after all... looks awesome, i wonder if it will be worth waiting for it to come out or just break down and get an NV10. ?

check out these spec's, (supports same thing as V4 and more!)

http://www.bitboys.fi/pr_glaze3d_aug2.html

thats all I can say is HOLY ****!!!, if that thing is real and it comes out in the next year like they say it is, its going to completely kill anything else out there. Unless all the card manufacturers release ANOTHER new card in 4 months again, Im sure nVidia will probably do it, they are doing it right now too. 200 fps in quake3 with everything turned on is really too hard to believe right now, even the TNT2 maxes out at around 40 with everything turned on. Go check www.anandtech.com , to find out what I mean.

------------------
    Vidfreek: The master Wizard.
    Visit us at http://members.xoom.com/wizardofcomp

Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

This thing is just plain SIK!!! I mean, What kinda computer is it going to need to run? Do they actuallly think they'll be able to shove all of that into a PCI slot? I don't think that'll happen, I would assume AGP only, but I may be wrong. I guess I'm going to have to go 550 PIII and start getting geared up for this card.
    NEVER: tell a boardroom full of Australian's, "I'll be rootin' for ya!"

I think I know why nvidia is coming out with the NV10 so soon after the TNT2. If they don't sell it now they won't sell it at all! And don't buy that processor upgrade yet; wait and see. The NV10 and Voodoo4 (and probably the Glaze 3D) will have T&L floating point processing on the video chip so you may be able to save your money. A video card upgrade might be all you need. They talk about the Glaze 3D running Quake II at 200 fps with the current processors on the market. After the first hundred you sure won't tell the difference in speed. The way it's going all your processor will be doing is AI and audio. Too bad Intel and AMD. (I sure was looking forward to spending megabucks on that next CPU/motherboard upgrade.) Hey, gaming may get like business software. Runs fine on an older Pentium class CPU provided the peripheral hardware is up to date.

guys, this is the best thing to happen for us... DonRay summed it up- we wont HAVE to spend more money on cpu upgrades! the glaze3d will not require anymore cpu horsepower than anyother card, thats the beauty of it...

btw, i didnt see the glaze3d say it would have T&L, ?? that may be the only "slow" down for thouse of us w/ a 'slow' cpu, (P2400). if it did have T&L, nothing will be able to touch it.

Yeah, this Glaze3D is gonna kick some ***

I read this at

http://www.adrenalinevault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=821999-21132

The card includes two interconnected Glaze3D chips on the same PCI or AGP 4X board. It has an 18MB embedded framebuffer and a maximum of 256MB of external video memory.

Sounds great but i hope there will be AGP 2x support too.

yeah that sounds good 1200 MPixels/sec but there are two chips on it and one chip is 600 half so the next gen voodoo is going to be 12 times as fast as the voodoo2 with one chip 90 x 12 = 1080 and that is only one chip.
    Ops sorry it is going to be 16 times faster then the voodoo2 and the all new T-Buffer
    here go and read.
    www.combatsim.com

[This message has been edited by Mr. D (edited 08-03-99).]

well the V3 can only do 7 million triangles per second and this card can do 15 million double the V3. The Napalm is supposed to have 400,000 mpixels per second and possibly be slied. That would make 800,000 but this glaze3d can do 1.2 million so its going to render stuff so much faster.

------------------
    Vidfreek: The master Wizard.
    Visit us at http://members.xoom.com/wizardofcomp

Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

I just went to the Glaze 3D web page. It all sounds great but they're only promising a release date of the 1st half of 2000. Considering the usual production delays, it could well be a year or more before it's on the store shelves. In a years' time I would expect 3dfx, nvidia, etc. will be delivering products running at least as fast as the Glaze. The trick is how fast Bitboys Oy can deliver the Glaze to us. This industry is moving fast; remember what we had a year ago?

do you realy think that 3dfx and nvidia are going to let them selfs beaten by som other card maker that waset in the picture untill now and the v4 is going to com 3 pr 4 kinds so this might be the smalest one with 48 mb

the test to make the t-buffer run was made on 8 x v2 sli so the smalest one is going to at lest as fast as 12 v2.

[This message has been edited by Mr. D (edited 08-03-99).]

MR d and Dooray,very correct,3dfx and nvidia will have something alot better 10 months from now im sure,especialy with glaze shuving this in their face,the web site looked more like a stock investing selling gimmick more then anything,those #'s will probably be the average a year from now ,they look awesome now,but 1 year,normal.

Thread Information