Wake up!!! Voodoo3 just sucks. - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wake up!!! Voodoo3 just sucks.

Oh and lucas,

TNT vs V2 is NOT the same as TNT2 vs V3

Proper AGP support is really important especially with AGP4x coming up, you'll see the difference then.
    I owned a banshee and it was great but the technology is old now and nvidia, S3 and Matrox are looking ahead while 3dfx are still lokking at the success they HAD.
    They will never be as innovative as when they came up with the first Voodoo.

S3 and Matrox deserve respect for being innovative with S3TC and hardwarebumpmapping.
    I believe these will become standards in the Gaming industry

Geez DEAN i'don't mean to insult you but i think you're really too proud of your V3 to admit that it isn't really that good.

"If something is staring you in the face and
    you cant believe it, it is your problem.."

that's excactly what i mean.
    Man you're just plain dumb or something.
    Paying those bucks for an outdated, beefed up banshee is not my problem either.

And who said anything about cards that couldn't be installed?
    You should get over the fact that you probably should've gotten another card instead of a V3. but hey I don't care, that's your prob :-)

BTW TONKA is making good sense.

Well um...4xagp doesn't work on my mb right now, and I won't buy another computer for awhile. I think it's nice that these cards support it, but a 4xagp board won't be in mass for awhile, and by then I think most of this cards will be out dated.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the S4 suck at anything over 800x600 like a twenty frame drop everytime you go up in res. I saw that the Diamond couldn't hold at anything over 1078x768 with out crashing. I thing the compression thing looks neat, but I heard that DX7 will have that.

S3TC support is already implemented in DX6
    and that's a good thing, it means it's taken seriously. Q3, UnrealTournament, Unreal2, Fortune Soldier and every recent Ragesoftware ( Expendable, Hostile Waters, etc ) title, just to name a few good games, already use it or will use it when they come out.

And my Savage4 drops about 9 frames every resolution up untill 1124x843, i haven tested anyfurther yet.

Take a look at the message:
    "And the results for q3test are?"
    I posted my scores here, you'll see that the Savage is a very descent card.
    I didn't say it's the best, i'm just happy about it cause it performs nice and the price was about the same as V3 3000.

Personally, most of those screenshots looked comparable to me, a little adjustment to monitor brightness perhaps and they'd look almost identical. The way I see it, the TNT2 and V3 each have their strengths and weaknesses. TNT2 has slightly better image quality, the V3 a little more speed. It should depend on the overall system specs as to which would be the best for any particular user. Since everything that's on the shelves now is going to be eclipsed into obsolescence by the next generation of cards coming out later this year anyway, what's the difference? Neither of these two will be the best in another couple of months anyway, by the time everyone realizes that both of these are good cards and the choice is a matter of personal preference neither will be state of the art. I suppose then it will become NV10 v. Napalm.

And I'll be there to say, isn't it:

NV10 vs Napalm vs GX4?

:-) heheh

man these ****ing posts suck, man everyone shut up. **** deans a friend of mine and it piss's me off to see people bashing at him over a ****ing video card. THEY BOTH ARE GOOD AT THE TIME BEING, im using a TNT 1 and i dont give a rats *** how good it does in anyting. i can play most games/all games at playalbe rates. i would be delighted to have a v3, or a tnt2 but i dont have one so o well.
    god give it up.

o yah and im glad i didnt get a tnt2, my money can go towards a NV10, or a napalm

prod.

Its amazing how these always seem to turn into a stupid lame flame war. Lay off it everyone. Geez.... Insulting is not needed DP and Tonka...

As for those Q3A screenshots, they cannot be compared properly because first off... both seem to have dynamic ligting disabled, and the TNT looks to be running in vertex ligting mode, not lightmap which is what the V3 looks like it is running. Story changes quite rapidly when you change what video settings are used.

ie:

The only way you can get a good comparison is if both cards are used on the same system with all the same settings.

Oh, and also do some screenshot comparisons of areas of the game that have more than a few colors on it... such as q3test1 or q3tourney map's not q3test2. The q3test2 map is fast and fun, but it is UGLY and BLAND compard to the other maps.
    Sometimes I wonder...

3dfx is not the former king.And people lose interest in a site that takes FOREVER to load.And nvidia biased sights too.

http://members.home.net/asmodean/the_lair.htm

[This message has been edited by DEAN (edited 07-29-99).]

adobe photoshop 5.0 is a great editing program mr. jones.

[This message has been edited by DEAN (edited 07-29-99).]

Off the net is bogus. The only "editing" I did to that was save the targa as a 70% JPG. I can post the origional targa as well.

If you want something off the net, go to:

www.riva3d.com/kps.html
    Shows screenshot comparisons between Voodoo3 in "22bit" and TNT in 32bit.

[This message has been edited by collinj (edited 07-29-99).]
    Sometimes I wonder...

And what exactly does my Quake2 hobbyist site have to do with anything?

I also took that image off of my 98 machine, I dont have Adobe installed on 98, only NT.

If you are accusing me of "editing" my picture, you better damn well have something to back that up. I dont take this **** lightly.
    Sometimes I wonder...

temper,temper,I went to riva website,nada on any new v3 drivers screenshots,as above those are with the new drivers.

ok,I should not accuse(im wrong)BUT,off the net from several different websites would be ideal vs from someones computer.

I believe I was accused at one time(if you remember)of altering my screenshot and someone elses.It didnt make me happy either.

The only guy here who needs his arse kicked is that Dark ***** guy. Fancy saying V3 Sucks, I have one now and i had a tnt2 (vipper) previously. I get much better frame rates with the V3 and besides my monitor can only go up to 640 x 480 so everything looks downgrade anyhow.

The real screenshots that make v3 look crap is when you look at the sky i quake3 test map 1 or whatever its name is. It makes v3 look very outdated.
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

The last TnT2 vs V3 was at least intresting and not insulting BS, and DP you posted this as "Wake up!!! Voodoo3 sucks" and half way down you say, "Don't get me wrong I'm not say Voodoo3 is a lousy card, I just think that it's not that great as a lot of people say it is" Either you think really strongly about something or please don't go about it half ***. You put this post up to start a fight, and you got one or if you wanted attention without offending how about "V3 doesn't impress me"(it kinda rhymes).
    I like to say that as a discussion it's fine it keeps us on our toes and looking at what's out there. Why does it have to deteriate to name calling Tonka "You're a pathetic individual with an IQ of a fruitfly." why cause he choose a different card than what you had? I think if you're going to make snap judgements on people base it on something else besides video cards.

Thread Information