Ultra tnt2 and Low fps :(
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Ultra tnt2 and Low fps :(

Ultra tnt2 and Low fps :(

Hi, I just bought a Guillemot Xentor Maxi Gamer Ultra Tnt2 on my celeron 433. All is verry nice and acceptable except that I dont have the fps expected ( as reviewed). First when I set quake2 to 640x480, the demo1 give
    me 80 fps, not so bad but far of the 120 fps reviewed. 1024x768 gives me 80 fps too. The problem comes when I play with lots of peoples. WHen there is 2 peoples or more on my screen fps go down ( choppy). On 640x480 crusher demo give 31 fps ( bad). and on 1024x768 I get 24 fps. Firingsquad reviewed that I should have +60 fps on crusher.. Thats annoying because all the games are a little bit choppy ( half life, quake3, quake2)...
    Can someone help me resolve this problem?
    ( I have lasterst 2.08 drivers) and my win98 looks clean. thanks

I've heard other people who have TNT2, including a friend of mine, that the older drivers (1.88) work better than the new 2.08
    so you might try that.

warn,

you stated in your post that you received 80 fps on BOTH 640x480 and 1024x768, is this correct?

If so, your problem is probably not in the video card but in your processor. Are you overclocking that 433? If you are running it at 433 mhz (and thus a 66mhz system bus) you will not receive the same frame rates as those who run a PII or PIII at the same or similar clock speed because they are running the system bus at 100mhz. The reason you are getting the same frame rates in both resolutions is more than likely because the cpu is giving all it can, and is "topping out" at around 80fps.

It seems to me that your TNT2 is handling everything fine, but your processor is struggling to keep up. The crusher demo is very CPU dependent, and would explain why you are getting relatively low frame rates in that particular demo.

I'm not extremely familiar with the TNT2, but changing drivers is probably a good start. If that doesn't work, you may want to try Overclocking your cpu or try the video card on someone else's computer to ensure that it is working properly.

hope this makes sense and is of some help email me at r0gue@isrv.com if you have more questions or want more advice.
    Good Luck!

------------------
    Rogue, Master Wizard
    visit our site at members.xoom.com/wizardofcomp

[This message has been edited by Rogue (edited 07-29-99).]

Ok I got it rogue. tnx for the explanation. But there is still 1 thing I dont understand..
    I read verry often that the celeron were fast as the Pentium II. But If I take what you mean, its better to buy a Pentium II 450 Mhz than a celeron 466? if yes, why do they say that the celeron is the same speed?
    By the way .. my cpu is not a 433, its a 333 o/c to 416. ( I said 433 to symplify)

A funny thing too is that quake2 came out before the Pentium II generation.. and a celeron o/c to 416 is not enough

anyway... tnx again ~warn~

Catch up with CollinJ...he is one of the moderators here...I believe he uses the same card...maybe he can offer a solution....

Need a full list of system specs such as: motherboard & chipset, RAM, etc.

Yes, I have the same card on my Celeron 300a @ 450mhz and I get 88.8fps at 1024x768 in demo1.dm2 16bit and 62.5fps in crusher at 1024x768. My 32bit scores are not much lower than that either.

I have also tested it with my celeron at its default 300mhz at 66mhz bus, and I was getting: 68.9fps at 1024x768 demo1 and 41.2fps at 1024x768 in crusher, so your CPU is more than powerfull enough to run it, but it sounds like something else is not happy.

------------------
    Collin J
    HWC Administrator
    Moderator Support and General Discussion.

[This message has been edited by collinj (edited 07-29-99).]
    Sometimes I wonder...

hrm... 60 fps in crusher? well i don't get that fps either. i'm getting about 45fps in crusher in 1024x768-32bit with no visual tweak(v-sync off, but everything else is on, except shadow), which is on par with other benchmarks. i do not recall anyone getting 60 fps in crusher using the xentor 32. i'm using the 2.03 driver.

here my system

soyo 6ba+3 mobo
    celeron 366 -->550
    192 cas2 memory
    diamond mx300
    xentor 32 oc 183/190

i run the benchmark at 1024x768-32bit with sound on, and all visual on, with the exception of shadows and of course v-sync is off. i got icq, rc-5, virus scan, and a few netscape windows open while i ran the benchmark.

with a celeron 450 i get about 40 fps.

keep in mind that you don't know if some of posted benchmarks are run with visual tweak or not.

------------------
    Like I said, **** happens

Hi collinj, the fps u got on demo1 are good( like mine, but I run at 416mhz ( 8 fps less).
    But in crusher u have awesome fps, I dont know why I get about 31 fps ..
    My system is

Abit Be6 motherboard ( bx chipset)
    hmm 96 mb ram
    Xentor 32 ( not oc)
    celeron 333 mhz oc 416
    mx300 soundcard

It would be fun If I could get better fps in crusher because often when I play online, I get low fps when I play in teams...
    Thanks for reply

Oh yeah, by the way, I dont know if this could slow the benchmark but when I run the crusher demo, at some times all the screen stop moving for about 1/4 second.. thats not long but could it be linked to this?

hey warn!
    Did you disable vsync in NVidia drivers and into q2 me i have CL3D blaster TNT2 U clocked at 175/183 and in demo1 at 32bit color at 800x600 i get 108.6fps on my PIII 450
    well in crusher aroud 58.9, but in 16 bit i get 2 fps faster lol( i guess 32bit is not that slower by 2 fps) o well i am using 2.08 drivers..
    allso did you download the 3.20 patch and the autoexec bat made for quake 2 that is for gamma and some speed.. Ask collinj for the fuile.
    I hope this helps!
    Alex D

------------------
    WTF?? I am just trying to help OK!

[This message has been edited by serb2 (edited 07-30-99).]
    The Real Power IS UNDER THE TOWER OF POWER
    check it out! http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/save/23/index.htm

Ok, I just downloaded the detonator drivers from nvidia. ( I got the xentor ones).
    But I dont see anyplace to disable vsync on the driver, and in quake2, is it the "sync every frame" setting?

Is v-sync that important? I mean, could it boost my 800x600 crusher demo 35 fps to 50 fps?
    thanks

DOH!
    it will boost preformance big time if you disable it!! and when you download the AUtoexec file adn 3.20 patch
    ALex D

------------------
    WTF?? I am just trying to help OK!

The Real Power IS UNDER THE TOWER OF POWER
    check it out! http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/save/23/index.htm

I went on tweak3d yesterday, And I think I find out hot to disable vsync ( the vblank thing)
    But I get no performance boost
    I changes all bios settings and all and in crusher I get 41 fps at 800x600..
    thats not bad..
    But I wonder why some peoples get 55 fps with the same cpu and tnt2 card..
    thanks

Thread Information