4D vs 3D...come and post
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 4D vs 3D...come and post

Jeffy79 Guest

4D vs 3D...come and post

I know 4D is not even out but it will come out in the future. You may not think so but it can happen. I have seen a 4D sattelite image and it was very cool. Clouds were so much more realistic looking and you could see the bottom (almost). So come and post bout the future of 4D. Afterall a 4D graphics engine could run a 3D game like a 3D engine runs a 2D game.

Jeff

um...

isn't the 4th dimension time itself????

...and about the future of 4D???
    I think the future of 4D will be when we're travelling in our own time machines in the year 2910 and won't have any need for such archaic things like PC's or '3D' games or such and stuff like that...

P.S. Know where i can take a look @ that 4D satellite image? Sounds intresting...
    I dunno?

This is your brain on drugs....

j/k

Sometimes I wonder...

Jeffy... brother-- what's goin' on?
    Yeah Jeffy, you know we're pretty cool and all, since we have lots in common 'bout tractors 'n stuff; but what the hell are you talking about?!?! 4th dimension?
    Have you been eating potato fungus again?

No way Im getting suckered into the 4th dimension yet. Im gonna wait till the 5th dimension is rolled out, and by then all the 4th dimension stuff will be at half price my friend!

no, time is not a dimension.

and humans, at least right now, cannot comprehend true 4 dimensional objects. we are hardwired for 3D. you can calculate how things would work in 4 dimensional space, you can draw 2 dimensional representations of 4 dimensional objects, or even 10 dimensional objects... but you can't see them as they would be if you were to be IN any space that had more than three dimensions.

------------------
    da jig isz up...

i'm so upset lately...
    i'm contemplating www.cybersuicide.com

da jig isz up...

I wrote a paper on the 4th dimension a few years ago. Very interesting topic to research, really. One of the more interesting, easy to understand and fun to think about ponderances that I found (without getting into any quantum mechanics or physics mumbo-jumbo) was this:

The first dimension can be described as an infinitely small point in space. (a dot)

The second dimension can be described perfectly with a shadow on any given plane: it has length and width, but no depth. A flat picture.

The third dimension adds depth (z to the x and y) and is where we are sitting now.

Now the fun part: Since we exist in the third dimension, imagine the people or beings that exist solely in the second dimension. Wholly unaware of their existence, and they of ours. Their entire universe exists within our shadows. What would we look like to them if we could somehow thrust a hand into their shadow-world? What would the effect be upon their finite, 2nd dimensional minds? Now, if the 2nd dimension could conceivably exist within our shadows, what if our 3rd dimensional universe exists completely within the shadows of the 4th? What happens to the people living in the 2nd dimension when we turn on the light? Do they cease to exist? Better yet, what happens to us when some 4th dimensional being turns on the light?

Jeffy79 Guest
    HAHA well the reason I decided to bring up 4D was because I thought of that sattelite image. But the bad news is that I can't point you towards it because it was a Accudata product and its not free stuff (1.00 a minute). I am not bullsitting you but the 4d image was there . So baloneyflaps that discbine I have is a sweet machine. Cut a field the other day (7 acres or a little more) in a hour thena 3.5 in a half hour. But I was not going fast as I could with it. I keep thinking about one of them new 7810 green machines!! I know you hardware people but thats my thing too .

Jeff

P.S. I gotta go change now I got happy, J/K!!!

baloneyflaps... one dimension is a line not a single point.
    Jigsta... time is a dimension that we are moving through contantly, and we can effect the speed that we travel thru it (by moving faster or slower in space).
    And everyone thinks in 4D, ie. meet at the store at 5pm, thats 4 dimensions you know if you go to the store at 3pm they wont be there
    Windows 2002 Protection Fault
    This user has performed an illegal operation and will be terminated
    press the any key to continue

Will my current monitor be able to render in the 4th dimension?

I'm w/ MikeD, wait until the prices drop.

Anybody see that Simpsons where Homer went into the 3rd dimension?

------------------
    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
    lVԙ

al^d:

Actually, it is my understanding (and I'm no physicist, or quantum mechanics wiz) that the first dimension more correctly should be defined as things which take up no space. By using this definition, both of us are correct since a point, and a line drawn between two infinitely small points, would take up no space. I was just trying to give a brief super-simple synopsis for anyone who might actually know less about this topic than I, and save a little typing as well. Euclidean Geometry calls triangles, squares, rectangles, circles and naturally, any derivation thereof that exists upon one plane and has an area as two dimensional. Unlike first dimensional objects which take up no space, 2D things have area. (x,y). The third dimension that we know and love so well is characterized by volume, the (z) coordinate-- essentially a 2D object (x,y) extruded into the (z) to give it mass.

no baloney, al^d is correct. the first dimension is a line. think, if you have one dimension, and it was a point, what in the heck would the coordinate mean? you can't move within a point!
    The one coordinate is the displacement along the length of the line. It doesn't have to be a straight line either, just as long as it does not loop back onto itself, any point on the figure can be described with exactly one coordinate that is in terms of displacement along the arc length of the curve relative to an origin.
    If the definition of "anything that occupies no space" were used, that would also include the 2nd dimension, because the volume of any plane is it's width times length times depth, and its depth being always zero, cancels the whole thing.
    A 2 dimensional figure could also be drawn on a sphere or a saddle, or a bowl, a vase, or any planar surface.

As to jigsta, yes time is a dimension. Einstein's theory of relativity treats time as the fourth dimension and constant velocity objects cause a rotation in the time dimension, thus causing time dilation.

As for 4d games, that would be completely ridiculous! We could never fully perceive them. We are inherently 3 dimensional beings, and we could never grasp a 4 dimensional object. Things would flip inside out as they rotate, and we could see all sides of an object at one time. Now is that mind boggling or what?

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~titzer/oldsite/programming/4dspace.html
    "There are only two things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ScottSOK-

How in the heck would we know since we can't even decide upon a definition of the 1st dimension?

I'm not truly qualified to argue these points one way or another, hopefully someone who is will come in and clarify it all soon.

Thread Information