whats the deal with halflife?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whats the deal with halflife?

whats the deal with halflife?

I bought the game today after all the ranting and raving and its a P.O.S. game,do they only have one color to work with BEIGE,its an ugly game and doesnt compare to the games I have become custom to.

Unreal.tribes,shogo have been the FPS games i have been playing,and after an hour, i can honestly say the game sux.

I cant believe any people would rant about halflife,I played in d3d and open gl/the multiplayer just plain doesnt have it,it boring and the graphics are simple and undetailed....I wasted $45 on this stupid game thats why im pissed.maybe the single player is good,but im not interested i like to frag people and laugh.

On the contrary dood, I just bought the game too and I loved it. It has a really good story line and the enemies are real smart (in hard mode). The graphics aren't the best but what do you expect for a game that is nearly two years old ?

They have many more colors than quake or quake 2 use so maybe you should get rid of your monochrome monitor ! Joke Dood.

So its not your cup of tea ?, well its your opinion and i respect that as long as you respect mine.
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Dean, I also thought half-life was a big anti-climax. We're like the only two people. I first read about HL two years before it came out, and was looking forward to it ever since. Sooo, the day half life comes out I toddle down to EB to get it, fire it up and I'm like "geeez, what the f*** is this?". I bought shogo about the same time and loved it. Shogo is great fun. But, the grandaddy of them all is kingpin. I got it the other day and I love it, it's just soooo violent.

oh good someone else has seen the light too,hey now i have the kingpin demo i like it but does it have online multiplayer/and if so have you played and is it fun?

hehe
    i was the same way
    if u really wanna see something amazing
    look at the half-life video on the diablo-hellfire add on
    they have a great video showing off half-life
    and it looked great
    when i got the game for christmas i thought it was a peiece of ****, and didnt play it at all, i agree the multiplayer is pure junk
    but for some reason now i like it
    still story line is good for a bit then just turns stupid, and people were trying to tell the me the graphics were better then unreal
    please. Its an ok game, that was so over-rated, i still think that Jedi-Knight was probebly the best fps made, though my opinon.

As for Kingpin, Kingpin Kicks ***, so many reveiwers are saying that it doesnt compare to half-life, LOL my *** this game has way better interactivity and the graphics are great, and the multiplayer is great
    much better then half-life
    though im still have a blast with the single player ; )

prod.

I thought the single player was the best that I have played in a long time. The AI (the grunts especially) was great, but the ending was eh, OK. This game was more of a one player game. TFC is an alright Multiplayer, but it wasn't as killer as I was let on to believe. Since, I ain't got the greatest connection speed HL didn't do much for me unless I was at a LAN party, but I can play Tribes(I think it's the best multiplayer game out there) the with noproblem.I thought the Xen levels were real tripy.

Good. I thought I was alone. They did some things really well in HL. Too bad I was over almost all of them before I was one-quarter finished with the game. I think Half-Life is the first game I ever bought and didn't bother finishing. My faves of the last couple of years (in FPS) are Shogo and Unreal. I was most disappointed for HL to have been the "Game of the Year". I had much more fun with practically every game I've played in the last year.

Yeah Shogo,tribes and unreal,they are great I havent played unreal for about 2 weeks (cause i over played it for about 8 months)anyway i fired it up today after hl and OH BOY!!! it looked awesome,i was having a blast my favorite multi level is curse i always win curse,I pick up the flack cannon and shells and armor and jump down in the big long hallway and go back and forth fragging away and jumping like crazy.
    that and tundra are the only ones i win the rest im just target practice.

UT coming soon cant wait,last i herd they handed it over to epic and they are going to publish REAL soon.

yah im there with yah bro
    unreal kicks ***
    and UT looks like a blast
    to me i wanna get that more then Q3
    i dont care if the graphics dont look as great, it just looks fun as all hell

prod.

Hey, I went form playing Doom II (DOS) on a 486DX to playing Half-Life on a 300. So I think it's great. It really makes you appreciate how far games and computers have come in the past 4-5 years.

Dean you should have downloaded the
    Half-Life demo first. Sorry!

------------------
    Current System:
    AMD 1800+
    MSI K7T266 Pro-RU
    512MB DDR
    Asus V7700Ti GF2 64MB
    WD 20GB 7200

I agree that HL did some great things and yet was anticlimactic...The AI was good, an actual storyline and interesting strategies to get through some of the parts, but the ending? Perhaps the expansion pack/sequel will be better. The sound effects were excellent.

I'm thinking of picking up Unreal now that I have the Glide option covered.....Heard alot of good about it, the ony bad being weak weapons and the Glide-only 3D.

later

Yeah I didn't understand the kingpin reviews. When I first played kingpin I was gobsmacked, more so than on first playing quake2 or unreal. Not just because of the violence, it has the best character interactivity of any FPS. Not quite adventure level, but getting there. Not to mention character graphics that trounce any other FPS's. I think that kingpin breaks more ground than half life. Basically because of the talk functions and recruiting gang members.

It's hard to describe what I like so much about HL. All I can say is that overall it "feels" great. The colors are not that vibrant, HL deathmatch is not spectacular, and I agree with many on this post that the ending sucked.

But the feel is great. The controls are very intuitive, very responsive. It's much better than any other FPs I've ever played (haven't tried Kingpin yet). The weapons are done well, while not spectacular, again I can only say that they "feel" good. Shooting even the pistol is more realistic than doing so in say Shogo, for example. Sound is fantastic with EAX or A3D. It's a great feeling to hear someone come up the stairs behind you when giving you that half second to introduce him to a satchel mine.

AI is good (where are those bots!) and I like the animations. Grunts won't midlessly charge but regroup instead. Hearing the grunts communicate over the radio can get intimidating. There are a few other intangibles as well. Low load times between stages is a plus and it keeps things going. Like quake it's very user friendly in terms of mods. I love running around in DM as Bobba Fett with the crossbow, it just looks cool. TFC is a great departure from DM and the different objectives alleviate the repetetiveness.

Overall the game isn't really groundbreaking. I just think it does everything very well. Hard to explain but HL is more immersive than the other FPS I've played. I can't compare the game to all of the hype but what isn't overhyped these days anyway? I think the game is great.

ecsi1-i did it looked great,but the multi sux.

g13-have you played tribes,shogo,or unreal?

One small cool thing about kingpin is the explosions. The rocket launcher and the grenade launcher look different to any other FPS. How you would imagine a real rocket to look like soaring out of a bazooka.

Thread Information