Is Win98 seeing my AGP card as a PCI?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Is Win98 seeing my AGP card as a PCI?

Is Win98 seeing my AGP card as a PCI?

I recently installed a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16 mb AGP card, after uninstalling my old non-integrated Intel 740 8mb AGP card. I made sure to set my system to standard VGA before shutting down and installing the new card, however, I believe that Windows detected my TNT AGP card as a PCI, even though I removed my old Intel 740 card from my board. I looked for the old Intel drivers on my system because I thought that might be the problem, but I couldn't find them. I did find one registry key that referred to the Intel 740, and at the beginning of the key was the label "MultMon", which to me indicates that my system somehow thinks it has multiple monitors. Or am I mistaken? When I look under display settings, I only see my one monitor listed. I also went into safe mode and looked in Device Manager to see if I had a "ghost" of my old card listed there. All was well, and no conflicts listed either. How might I go about finding out if Windows is seeing my TNT card as AGP or a PCI? And is it safe to delete the MultMon Intel 740 entry? Everything is running well, and I don't want to mess it up....LOL. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Kayci (edited 07-26-99).]

What makes you think it may be seeing it as PCI? I assume you're getting video since you're able to go in your system & look for files, etc., so it's functioning as AGP. Are you unable to change your display settings from standard vga? What are you experiencing to make you think there's a problem? If you haven't gone into your CMOS and changed the primary adapter from PCI to AGP, maybe try that and see if it makes a difference. Sorry, not sure what problem to help you with so that's about all I can offer right now

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have been into my CMOS, and all looks fine there. I found one listing for AGP (AGP Aperture), which is set to 64. I saw no other references to AGP. I have an Award Bios. The reason I thought my AGP may have been detected as a PCI was from a few registry settings I saw in the MS System Information utility, and I also saw no reference to AGP in Device Manager within my CL GB Riva TNT listing there. My old AGP card, as well as my AGP card on my other computer clearly indicated the card was an AGP. I also mistakenly thought that only PCI and ISA cards (and not AGP) took up an IRQ, but I have found that is not the case, as apparently AGP cards do use an IRQ (on my other computer I couldn't find an IRQ listing for the AGP card on it). I'm also wondering if there's a place on my system where I can check for an AGP entry (besides CMOS), as I have looked and haven't been able to find one. My video functions well, so I will assume it's registered as an AGP, and not PCI.

Thanks.

Thread Information