Wierd monitor power down problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Wierd monitor power down problem

Wierd monitor power down problem

I have a Matsonic 6260s, AMD K6-2 400, Raven (Voodoo Banshee), and standard older 800x600 SVGA monitor. The problem is minor, but annoying. Whenever I restart the system without turning the power off completely, the monitor light goes from green to orange, and I have to turn the monitor off then on to get display. The same setup didn't do this before I re-installed windows, and I have messed with bios settings relating to the monitor and vidcard, all with no change. I still have a problem getting the latest driver for the banshee working, and nobody answers my post in here on that (care to take a look?) but does anyone know about this one? Thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------
    I ask a lot, and learn a lot here!

So am I the only person that has ever had this problem? Even if this has happened to you and there is nothing to do about it please someone let me know!!! I have two other recent posts regarding voodoo bansheee driver problems in this forum that are getting completely ignored as well has anyone else ever owned one of them?

I'm sure you know the monitor switching from green to orange at startup is normal. You didn't indicate how long you would wait until you had to power the monitor off and then on again. Sometimes monitors stay orange for several seconds and then come on, sometimes longer. If you've waited ample time and it just doesn't turn green, first thing I'd check is the BIOS power-saving settings. Disable power-saving mode, save, and exit. Shut the system off completely. Then turn it back on like you normally do and see if it comes on. If you still have to manually turn it off then on again, maybe try turning the monitor on before you power up the system or vice versa, try a different power plug. Do you turn your monitor off when you shut your computer down or do you leave it powered on & it just shuts off or powers down itself? Does the monitor plug into it's own outlet or does it run off the computer? Hope this helps a little.

Ok, if I paid closer attention to what I was reading, you said when you RESTART windows ... ok try disabling your power management in control panel if it's setup. Make sure 'turn off monitor' is set to never. Make sure you disable power saving in bios/cmos as well. Let us know if this has any affect. Good luck.

None of this worked! I forgot to mention that before I got this card, the PCI (an old ATI 1 or 2 meg thing capable of 32 bit color but no hardware acceleration), never had this problem, and for a few days I has an SiS 8mb AGP that did this same thing. whenever I try to restart the computer, or whenever I change BIOS settings and save and exit, the monitor changes to orange, and does nothing until I switch it on and off. I have changed the video power down state in BIOS, and the Green monitor status (even though I am not sure what either is), and I also have it set for AGP as the primary video adapter. Nothing changes this problem....like I said, it's not a huge deal but it annoys me.....Ahhrgggg!

Thread Information