when i buy a video card what does OEM mean
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: when i buy a video card what does OEM mean

when i buy a video card what does OEM mean

?

It's supposed to by direct manufacturing sale I think. You should get the card in just a plain white box with the card and the drivers only.

ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURED,ANY WAY ITS THE ONE THE PUT IN PUTERS THEY BUILD,NO GAMES ,NO GOODIES JUST CARD AND DRIVERS,BUT CHEAPER.whoops sorry about the caps

I've read in reviews that OEM products don't get the cream of the crop chips. As in the TNT2 cards the OEM ones do not overclock as well as the retail boxed cards. thats just what I read. I try to buy retail if I can afford it. There is nothing wrong with OEM if your on a budget and don't mind white boxes.

------------------
    Current System:
    AMD 1800+
    MSI K7T266 Pro-RU
    512MB DDR
    Asus V7700Ti GF2 64MB
    WD 20GB 7200

It depends on what you are buying. Usually OEM is exactly the same hardware minus the useless software bundle and pretty box. I've also heard (though can't confirm) that perhaps sometimes the OEM may actually be of higher quality than retail stuff due to OEM's requirements for particular hardware. Personally, I buy OEM in my hardware except for the CPU, which almost always is better in the retail version.

In all honesty the term OEM stands for the fat guy in the computer shop gets to use the card, get his greasy burger fingers all over the instruction manual and tell you how great it is. Retail packs are safer, just look at the Hercules debacle the oem versions of the dynamite are actually clocked at 150/175 not 175/200. OEM is risky especially if what your buying is name brand cause oem is supposed to be in a new computer not resold, thats what retail is for.
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Ooo oo,

You guys get white boxes ? In Australia we only get a burger wrapper or if were lucky a static bag (Electro Static Safe Packaging Device)
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

ankerson Guest
    OEM is what computer builders put in the systems, they are cheaper than the retail box stuff.

I build systems and use the OEM stuff, never had any problems.

With the OEM you don't get the pretty box and the bundled stuff, or the retail warrenty.

OEM as they have said is for purchase with a new pc only, or at least that is the theory.

No one ever slit their wrists for buying quality..... so buy retail only cause you then have options if the card/ part or peripheral etc is not up to your expectations

Dont skimp on computer components ever, you will regret it. The worst thing about an oem video card is that you have no games or software to show you what the card can actually, so hence you go out and spend more money to get the games.

OEM sucks !, besides when or if you sell a component do you think the buyer would like it in a retail box or a static bag ?
    Over the lips and past the gums, look out stomach here it comes

Thread Information