TNT2 using too much bus bandwidth???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT2 using too much bus bandwidth???

Hybrid View

TNT2 using too much bus bandwidth???

I have 2 ISA slots in my m/b, 1 modem and 1 soundcard in each...after putting in the tnt2 only 1 would go...actually both would go but my modem would go really really slow as if it was going at 2400 baud or something...yeah I have a celeron 466 @ 75mhz bus....cheers

I recomend having everything pci,modem and soundcard,fisrt off its faster secondly isa demands to much resources.

sound blaster live value sound about $50,oem online

you can get a decent diamond modem for $40

Just a suggestion,take it or leave it

ankerson Guest
    Dean,

Well you were almost right. ISA Hardware modems don't drain system resources, they have their own processer on the card.

I would never buy a PCI modem, ever. Well when ISA is no more then I will have to.

I dont see it that way maybe you can explain further.The way I remember it is the isa have the priority and are slower bus,so in an online multiplayer your isa modem and soundcard are hogging up the cpu and the pci/agp are lagging behind.

Anyway luke the problem is this you are going to have to assign the isa cards irq's,if you were to check in your "system" icon in control panel go in to device manager and check both your isa's (sound modem)and your new tnt and make sure they are NOT using the same irq.It sounds like both isa crds are using the same irq.

check it out it couldn't hurt,if one of your isa is not a pnp type this can easily happen.

ankerson Guest
    Dean,

I don't have a ISA soundcard. I am talking about the difference between hardware and software modems. Software modems are more of a problem than they are worth.

I don't play games on line, so it really wouldn't make a difference.

Oh my USR modem is running at 115mhz, buy the way.

for me my pci is faster then my old isa both were v.90 56k,my isa was a real good one it cost like $100 and was a actiontec top of the line,I could only hook up at 48000 bps and d/l 's were alot slower like 2-3k per sec.

My pci diamond super maxi pci i hook up at 52000 almost all the time and am d/l at ave. 5k sec same isp ect... cost $40 online gaming changed aswell,better less lag,so for me and my setup the pci works better.

ankerson Guest
    Dean,

Cool, what ever works. I connect at 52000 every time with my USR.

Diamond makes good modems, I had one and gave it to a friend.

Thanks guys. Ive arranged to get a Awe64 pci but for the moment ill keep my isa modem. I read "no conflicts" when I looked at the settings so I guessed there wasnt any. Well...im sure it is the irq and ill make sure everythings right when I reinstall my new tnt2 thanks again

The physical location of the cards is a problem if the pci slot being used is the neighbour to the isa slot being used, quite often they share an irq. so one would work the other would be disabled.
    By the way all you guys with a dial-up modem
    time for a cable modem don't you think?
    "Priority" of the cards is user defined.
    ISA is old technology, i admit it works quite well but with the speed of computers and the popular talk of overclocking why would you use an ISA bus?

ankerson Guest
    I use the ISA bus for Modems because they work, and I use hardware modems. When they come out with a good hardware modem that is PCI I will buy one.

I am running with an ISA 33.6 modem - don't *seem* to have any problems.

Luke, if you have an internal modem, check what COM port is assigned to it and then check the IRQ set for the COM port. Just because Windows doesn't show a conflict doesn't mean 2 devices aren't sharing the IRQ. At least that's what I thought.

DEAN, I am surprised by your results. I didn't know baud rate was affected by bus interface. I thought the connection speed was "external" so to speak. I thought bus transfer rates where usually much faster than the modem speed?? Bah, what do I know!

Anyway, getting cable modem soon, so I can enjoy all those phone jack delays while playing online games .

Thread Information