Could anyone help ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Could anyone help ?

Could anyone help ?

Hi, I have a real problem I Think !.

My card is a Viper 770.

The problem is I have a ****e monitor and i think it is causing my games to run funny. I have it set to 800x600 cause thats all it will go and i cant edit the refresh rates cause it only allows a choice of optimal and adapter default.

I have the nvidia reference drivers 1.88 and i tried to edit the registry but nothing happened.

When i play quake 3 test 1.05 it runs fine except in certain places it jolts for like a quarter of a second or so when you turn a corner and enter the big lava pit room for example, or even just turning a corner.

This also happens in Hexen 2 but very briefly. I also noticed a little dithering on the sky in quake3 even at 32 bit and highest settings.

I am seriously thinking of getting a different brand tnt2 like a regular hercules tnt2 32 mb as the guillemot xentor 32 is $500 and the Herc tnt2 Ultra is $550.

I am really confused at to what usually happens in games as this is my first time playing them on my own computer.

ps my comp is a

Celeron 400@ 450
    128 mb ram
    Abit BX6 2.0 MOBO
    Viper V770 32mb
    Creative 64
    4.3gb hdd

Thankyou for any help as i have no idea what is going on.
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

I don't think that there's anything wrong with your card. I think that the game is just loading from the harddrive, either because you don't have fast enough ram or your harddrive is slow.

Try adding another 64/128Megs and turn of all disk caching.

upgrade your monitor if it makes you feel better. I mean what was the reason for buyiing the V770?

I know! I know! Fast Mutha F**kin' gaming at F**kin' high resolutions!

------------------
    Visit My Site At:

members.xoom.com/_XOOM/ultimate3d/index.html

I have 128 mb of pc-100 ram its APACER the hdd is a 4.3 gb samsung drive, no idea what speed.

His system sounds like its just fine.

You shouldn't need anymore than 128 ram. His proc. is fast, his viper card should run great(mine does), his monitor might not display very well, but aren't the refresh rate part of the video ADAPTER properties? I don't think that they have anything to do with the monitor. I think this because you can turn your refresh rate beyond what your monitor can handle and damage the monitor.

Do you have, or can you, turn on DMA for your hard drive? This will help the loading speed. I think by the sound of your post that none of your problems have to do with your hardware... I think that you may have incorrectly installed drivers, and a Windows system that could be tuned better. Check through all of your system settings. I'm not talking about hacking the registry, just change what you can in the control panel. That should help things.

When I was installing the reference drivers from Nvidia on my Viper 770Ultra, I noticed during the installation that the wizard asked for the Diamond CD-ROM. Make sure that you redirect the installation to the directory of the Nvidia drivers instead of putting in your Diamond disk. Otherwise, you won't change a thing.

Hope this helps...

Also, as for the monitor, if I can make a recommendation, you should look into a KDS 19" Visual Sensations monitor.

You can set this baby's refresh rates to 120Hz, it has a dot pitch of .25mm, its plug and play, it is capable of 1600x1280 resolution, and has BNC connectors as well as reg. monitor hook-up(if you ever get into proffessional video editing).

I bought one of these about 6 mos. ago. It hurt me in the pocketbook for a while, but my eyes have been thanking me ever since. I paid about $475.00 for mine, but You can get one now for $389.00 or less.

PCComputing rated this one at 4 stars. Check it out here: http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,405868,00.html

Buy as new monitor if you can. No matter what else you do to your computer, whether its to build a new one in 6 mos., or buy one, your monitor will stay with you for a long time. Make it a good one.

What sound card is that? AWE 64 or PCI 64?

If it is a PCI 64, run both games in max compatability mode and low quality sound.

The dithering in the sky is probably because of the low resolution that you are running. 800x600 looks horrid compared to 1024x768. You can also try setting the games to sync to refresh, it may help clear up some jerky problems. Also, if you have a PS/2 mouse, download and install PS/2 rate and set it to about 100hz. PS/2 mice refresh at 40hz (40 times per second) and can cause frame flickering and jerky cornering when your video card is updating alot faster than your PS/2 mouse can handle.

You can get PS/2 Rate Adjuster at: http://voodooextreme.com/flypenguin/files/ps2plus.exe .
    Sometimes I wonder...

Thanks for all your help guys, it is really apreciated. The thing is (in reference to the monitor) if it only costs 370 in US it costs at least 1000 here.

Maybe you can get a refurbished one or something,All that hardware and its going on a monitor that only supports 800x600,not to be mean but its not letting all that hardware show it true potential.

Err... Everybody on the count of three, Australian PC retailers suck !

I had the same the same problem (adapter default, optimal only) turned out I had a plug and play monitor instead of using the monitor inf. file for my monitor. Once I installed it i had adapter default, optimal and 60-120Hz options.
    ---mark---
    Too many computers to mention, it may need its own ZIPCODE next.

Thread Information