Graphics Question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Graphics Question

Badcatgirly Guest

Graphics Question

Well, as the subject suggests... I have a question regarding graphics and chipsets.

I'm going to build a computer for a friend and he likes to play flying games. The first idea that went into my head is Voodoo card but, what'll happen if you play a game designed for Voodoo acceleration but have a TNT card? Or, what if you have a Voodoo card and want to play games design with TNT? How does something like that work?

I've heard about some people using a TNT card and having Voodoo's in SLI but this guy doesn't have a very big budget and I was wondering what the best solution is? Does anyone think they can quickly explain how this is all supposed to work?

For this one you would need to go for something in the banshee style - Voodoo 3 !!.

They do have a very excellent compatability factor with all games, as they support all the major api's.

Usually if you play a game designed for 3dfx eg GLIDE it will not work on a TNT, but a game designed for TNT (not sure there are games designed for the tnt chipset)eg OpenGl it will work fine on the v3 but not as well as the tnt.( I must state this is a driver thing which can be rectified if 3dfx works on it).

If it is compatability you want the V3 is the best, however there are not many glide only games (GLIDE is 3dfx and is not supported by Nvidia tnt or 2).

The V2 sli and a TNT id a waste of money in my opinion a V3 or TNT2 will do an adequate job.

I would go for a v3 3000 or 2000 cause they are cheap and they do a very good job. The only thing wrong with them is there image quality and lack of 32 bit color support. If you can handle that then it seems to be the best choice

------------------
    I have Nothing to Fear..
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Currently there is NO games optimized or writen for TNT cards,I think what you are getting at is GLIDE.

Only 3dfx(voodoo 1,2,3,banshee,rush)can run GLIDE.If a game is writen in Glide it will play best on the newest 3dfx card.However they usually will have direct 3d or open gl or both Support.

Ok thats where a tnt comes in they can run open gl and d3d but NO glide.

For compatability with all games a 3dfx card is recomended,also 3dfx does optimize d3d and open gl games to run on 3dfx boards.

If you were to go here http://www.3dfx.com/view.asp?PAGE=nusPCGames you would be able to see all the games optimized for 3dfx cards ,just click on the games list.

All in all a voodoo3 will give fast performance and great compatability and good image quality/Tnt will give great image quality and good performance but only has 2 of the 3 major api,s.

If it for a AMD system I would go for the v3 ,if a cel or pII it your choice.Good luck,hope this helps

If you had as little gaming skill as Dean has it wouldn't matter what card you get. Oh well, as long as he's enjoying himself.

------------------
    lVԙ

And if you had a goose hit you in the nose as favio did you would need the biggest monitor as possible,hehehe.............

I dont understand why u people still want stick to 3Dfx card like Voodoo3, the reign of 3Dfx is over and there is no such game that will only run under Glide, which becomes an obsolete standard and will soon vanish.

OpenGL & Direct3D are the big deal now, and both of them supported by RIVA TNT2 and rest of the gaming industry.

------------------
    GyX

There are alot of games that will take advantage of RIVA TNT/TNT2, such as Forshaken & Quake 3 in the future.

They are cheap and provide excellent game play/ 2d gui performance, Need I say more ?

Keep your one sided opinions to yourself. I am no fan of 3dfx, but it is no reason to say they are crap, if lots of people use them then they cant be that bad. I prefer TNT2 because i am willing to sacrifice fps for image quality.

TNT2 is not the last card to be made ever so it dont matter what quake 3 and others are optimized for at the MOMENT. 3dfx has lots of dough so they will come back with some thing competitive.

------------------
    I have Nothing to Fear..
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

We need the competition between these manafacturers to be as fierce as these forums get when DEAN goes of on one... that way more and more boards come out and prices fall... we benefit the most.
    Now i have a viper/tnt2 but like every tnt owner i had voodoo1 then voodoo2 so we should respect 3dfx for getting there first. I have seen a voodoo3 on my friends machine and our machines are identicle in gaming speeds which is fine. My decision was purely based on a card that would last for me and the tnt was that card.

Oh yeah i love the latest flight sims and they all work fine on my p2/350 tnt2.

A lot of people say amd is crap for tnt/2 has anyone bothered to try this out with the 1.88 drivers yet? thats a question not a statement..

------------------
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com

**Mcdonalds is better than Burgerking... so leave it!**
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com

"I know what your thinking.... should have took the blue pill"

now simon.......

Badcatgirly Guest
    Thank you all. I think I'm going to advise him to get the Voodoo3 3000. I'd rather it supports all three API's then get a call in the middle of the night stating that something isn't working right.

Thread Information