Really Dumb Question - Laughable..
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Really Dumb Question - Laughable..

Really Dumb Question - Laughable..

I don't understand what the thing is with high resolutions. I can only use 800 x600 with my monitor, but i used to be able to do 1024 x 768, all the screen does it get smaller and harder to see. Am i hurting my gamming experience by not having a decent monitor.

Is 800x600 too small for a 15 inch mon ?

------------------
    I have Nothing to Fear..
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

I run 1024X768 all the time on my 15" monitor. 800X600 seems too big. *shrug*

You may have some controls on your monitor, and should have some contols under your 'Windows' display settings to adjust the size and position of your display 'raster'..

The 'raster' is the physical dimensions of what you see on your CRT while the 800x600, 1024x768 or whatever are the numper of pixels that the 'raster' is composed of.

You can take those 800x600 (or whatever)pixels and display them on a 14", 15" or whatever monitor, and the viewing area is going to be the same unless you stretch them, via the controls, to fill up the dimensions of your particular display..

Hope this helps...
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

I use to have the problem but this is how I manage to cure it. At higher resolution some monitor are unable to redraw the screen at the same refresh rate. Therefore it has to be lowered. You can download <powerstrip> and change the refresh rate manually to a lower value. It is also a good 3D tweak program.

MIne went from 60(640*480)->56->43 (1028*768). Hope this helps.

I understand all about changing them now it is just by lowering the refresh rates does this affect the performnce in fps ?

------------------
    I have Nothing to Fear..
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Only if you have "Enable V-Sync" turned on. If it is turned of, you will not lose FPS, but "image-tearing", and thus visual quality, will become worse.

---------------------------------------------

Wow! I didn't see Diogenes posting before I replied. CHECK IT OUT, this guy knows what he is talking about.....

[This message has been edited by Bomberman (edited 07-13-99).]

Thread Information