I Still Don't Get It?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Still Don't Get It?

I Still Don't Get It?

I still don;t get it? What is better to have and why? A Voodoo3 3000 AGP or 2 Voodoo2 1000's? I don't understand this entire OpenGL, TNT and Banshee thing?

Try not to mention cost in the reply... all I wanna know is what will perform better?

------------------
    "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

voodoo3 agp definately. $119 at www.pricewatch.com

#1 its only 1 agp slot,not 2 pci
    #2 the voodoo3 is the next generation and without getting into alot of details it will outperform the sli setup.
    #3 you get one of the BEST 2d performing card out.Actually the best in the $100-200 price range.
    #4 voodoo3 and 3dfx products have all the MAIN api's which are opengl/direct 3d and glide.

But a couple of drawbacks that most non 3dfx cards have is 32megs of ram and 32bit rendering.The voodoo3 does not have these features

Vodoo 3 Open Gl is crap, TNT2 is much better. Glide is for older games and the newer games will never be just GLIDE they will be a combination eg GLIDE and D3D or Open GL.

The V2 setup is for aging computers now, the V3 is the next generation Banshee, not much different when it only has 16 mb of RAM. This hinders your ability to go into higher resolutions eg over 1024 x 780 and get decent frame rates. The TNT2 usually has 32 mb's of memory and kicks the V3 in image quality, and frame rates in higher resolutions. Oh yeah, the New games will almost definately support 32 bit color the v3, banshee, v2 do not and the TNT2 does.

In short if you are looking for a plug in play ok image quality fast f-rates the v3 is excellent
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Good question, what's the tradeoff between the extra memory of the 24Mb sli, and the 16Mb newer technology?

The Voodoo2 SLI will run faster in texture intensive games than a Voodoo3 will, because the SLI has 16mb of dedicated texture memory available as well as 8mb of dedicated frame buffer. The Voodoo3 only has 16mb of memory to split off for the Frame Buffer and for Texture storage, which will give a huge performance hit at high resolutions in games that are very texture intensive.

------------------
    Collin J
    HWC Administrator
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

If thats the case, how come 2 voodoo2's cant go above 1024x768? That is where the v3 gets its strength. I can play most of games in 1280x960 or 1280x1024 ie Unreal, in well over 35 fps if not better. And of course, besides the 32 megs and 32 bit thing, the framerates are almost equal if not maybe 3-4 fps off in most games that are available today.

Vidfreek
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Hello Toolbox,
    TnT2 is great with picture quality with solid fps but not fast as v3 do.
    V3 is low picture quality but faster fps than tnt2.
    TNT2 have more feature as apg support 4x and 32 ram cost more than v3.
    You can try either tnt2 or v3 depend on your system.
    V3 have glide support what tnt2 not have
    like you play tribes that use glide what i playing all times.
    I heard that glide no longer but the programmer still make game use glide continue.
    Thank Rwc

HELLO Luke-skywalker.
    will you check on
    http://www.ugn3d.com/reviews/voodoo3_3000/page4.htm
    It talking about glide what they make point.
    Thank Rwc

Vidfreak~ Because the Voodoo3 has 16mb of ram which can be used for the Frame buffer while the Voodoo2 SLI has only 8mb of frame buffer, and higher than 1024x768 requires more frame buffer ram.

RWC~ I have an Ultra TNT-2 in my system, and my benchmark scores are faster than a Voodoo3 3000 & 3500 on the same speed of processor and same amount of ram (Celeron 300a @ 450, 128mb). Saying the Voodoo3 is the winner in frame rates is not true anymore. Not after the release of the v1.88 drivers from Nvidia, which gave my TNT-2 a 20-50% increase in performance over the older drivers. I think overall they are about equal in performance. Saying one is the clear winner over the other in frame rates is not true anymore.

------------------
    Collin J
    HWC Administrator
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

Hey Toolbox,
    How many tools you have in your toolbox.
    Just kidding smile

Collinj,
    I understand you got new driver help improve tnt2 to equal to v3.
    That time v3 was more fps so now new driver help tnt2 run better that is good.
    I did not say v3 is no.1.
    I like tnt2 and v3 that both cards are better than other brand.
    Someday i will try tnt2.
    Thank for your advise.
    I have question if any games have glide support when i use tnt2 so which tnt2 have 3d accereator for games which have glide< what tnt2 will use like open lcd or direct3d when game use glide.
    Will tnt2 use 3d look good on game when it have glide??

Thank Rwc

Yes, the TNT-2 will look better in D3D or OpenGL than can be rendered in GLide because of GLides limitations. GLide has all the same limitations that the Voodoo3 and older chipsets have (no 32bit, no large texture support, etc).

GLide used to look better than D3D, but with the advances of the last year, D3D outclasses GLide in image quality because it doesnt have the limitations that GLide has, it also supports more 3d features than GLides does.

You didnt say the Voodoo3 was no. 1, but you did say it was the fastest, which I have to disagree with.
    Sometimes I wonder...

Ok Collinj i understand all about fps.
    When i benchwork with v3 seem more fps than their tnt2 that time last two or three week ago. So any one got new 1.88 driver on tnt2 more better so i like happy to see thier new benchwork tnt2 with 1.88 driver. Will you able send me your benchwork with quake2 fps,
    if you not want that is allright.
    Thank Rwc

Ive posted them up before, but here they are again:

Xentor 32 (clocked 175/183), Celeron 300a @ 450, 128mb ram, SB Live Value:

All the scores were taken with max visual quality, high quality sound.

Quake2 demo1.dm2 16 / 32bit:
    800x600: 106.9 / 100.8
    1024x768: 88.8 / 79.4
    1152x864: 69.5 / 56.2
    1280x960: 60.0 / 50.3

Quake2 crusher.dm2 16 / 32bit:
    800x600: 63.4 / 61.5
    1024x768: 62.5 / 58.1
    1152x864: 56.0 / 44.0
    1280x960: 49.5 / 38.4

Sometimes I wonder...

Thank Collinj for post what i have not see before seem i missed your first post.
    Your tnt2 look better than old driver that make good sense ,tnt2 look better.
    That look good nice fps. How many different from old driver and new driver.
    Great 1.88 driver boost tnt2 up better.
    Thank again for good informaion of your knowledge.
    Rwc

Thread Information