CollinJ need your input on Expert help needed. - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CollinJ need your input on Expert help needed.

I know how to build computers myself I have done with 8 computers for my friends but the problem is I am not good at tweaking BIOS.

The BIOS is too difficult to understand...Not much in plain english.

Compaq? ewwww..... I called them about a RAM upgrade and they wanted to sell me special Compaq RAM. I asked about using normal SIMMs and they said reluctantly "ooh you might be very lucky and have it work, but we haven't tested anything other than compaq ram so we don't know [if it'll blow up your computer etc etc essentially pay us the money rather than take a chance]". Well standard SIMMs were about a quarter the price (no joke) and I plugged one in and it still works perfectly years later.

Bloody compaq, I'll never buy another compaq so long as I live. Proprietry components SUCK.

Geoff

Jeffy79 Guest
    I have a good one for ya about those compaqs. I knew this girl when I was on AOL and she had a compaq. Well this was funny as hell and I was like told ya but. I woulkd see her get booted all the time and it wasn't AOL it was her computer crashing. The damn Compaq kept crashing. At the time I had a p2 266 that was a prebuilt but not from any of the leading vendors. It was a Tiger PC and it ran pretty fast. It had basic windows on it and whichever drivers so it ran faster as it didn't have HD hogging software. Now I am building my own and this is my first and runs pretty damn good. I get some vxd errors but I found what they are (vid card) well all as we know COMPAQ sux and there is no 2 ways about it . That's my story and im stickin to it.

Jeff

Hello Rottie,
    I understand you had experence built 8 pc that is great.So for tweaking bios i have no idea but i heard that bios can be tweak but i think too risky try tweak bios can harm all compenetant on mb so if want improve speed just upgrade cpu or ram that effect than try tweaking bios that i think. If tweaking bios not harm mb that is allright i have not tried bios tweaking but i am afraid can mess up mb system when try tweaking.But not hurt if tweaking video card but carefully .
    thank Rwc

Hello Geoff
    Not worry about compaq you can buy ram to upgrade your pc as follwing your mb manual book specific. Buy ram from any store, if you know much about mb then you can do it. Compaq they want people buy their parts as their business. So try ask any compaq owner about ram they can help you.
    Thank Rwc

I agree CompaQ does Suck but I know Packard bell and NEC are brother companies but i bought a NEC Ready and it was well built it hardly ever crashes, and i havent had any driver problems or anything it was built with good equipment in it too it has a pentium II 400 mhz on a pretty good motherboard it is an intel 440bx/zx 2 mobo and 64mb sd ram pc 100 and Hitachi DVD i put my own Voodoo3 card in it and it ran perfect in every game every program i have installed in it has run really great! i was wondering since packard bell and nec are brother companies does that mean pb owns nec and builds everything in the necs and designs them or are they just paired in buisness???
    Last Night I Dreamed I Ate A 10 Pound Marshmellow, And When I Woke Up My Pillow Was Gone....

Oh I forgot to post about Compaq...I have a friend who has Compaq he asked me to install Win 98 on his PC and found out that Win 98 is not for old Compaq I think he is running Intel Pentium 133Mhz because some of cards does not work with Win 98 so just thought I let you know..Don't buy Compaq or Packard Bell.

Anyone remember the ole Compaqs with the BIOS on the hard drive? I do, I used to support all computers sold through Circuit City, I worked for GE/Techteam, and those computers were the biggest pain, that and the 2.5 gig bigfood harddrives. download this Softpaq, this softpaq and blah blah blah.

Do have to admit though, compaq does make a pretty doggone good server. I should know, where I work now we have about 150 or so all running dual and quad pentium pros with 1 to 2 gigs of RAM.

------------------
    "You know what I like about Imac's?
    They have a Handle, so I can throw them farther"

I agree with Rottie,
    Best way to built your own than buy name of comapny.So you will know the different.
    Mine is p2 350 with gig-abyte bxe that it good mb so far.I had experence when i was first buy acer aspire 75 speed 8 ram very low that time.When i install program it run fine untill i want upgrade and read manual find out that it is limit. So when i try buy tyan motherboard . I transfer from acer hd,matrox card and ram to tyan mb then boot up , i notice and realize that ran so cool as fast than acer system and can upgrade more that how i realize that i like to homebuilt make me feel comfort than buy name of company pc.
    hank Rwc
    Feel the different.

RWC

Since I left Amgia 500 I bought my very first IBM compatiable PC is Canon MultiMedia 400 (Cyrix 486) Canon is a good company it doesn't crash very often when upgraded from Win 3.1 to 95 and allowed me to upgrade hard drive, modem, etc..never gave me an headache. Canon took care of dead mouse and motherboard..I truly am happy with Canon. I am glad I didn't buy Comapq or Packard Bell. I wish Canon could contiune making modern computer but not anymore. They only support printers.

Now I built my own PC with AMD K6/2 400 but I hate BIOS cuz every BIOS come different than other BIOS i.e. PII mobo with AWARD Bios are much different than on Super 7 mobo with AWARD Bios.

Ok enough for me I know I type too much.

Hello Rottie,
    That good you got good system from canon seem they get good quality but sad for they not making pc in future.I know they make good printer.
    For amd i have no idea about bios of amd.
    I like intel system so amd system still good i have not tried on amd yet.
    Thank Rwc
    Feel the different.

hello all, i worked at staples, one of the hated retail chains, and so did most of my friends. working there allowed us to see what went out and came back the most, what performs ("no, 3dmarkmax99 does not come any any system preloaded.") and just an overall perception of what they do. where i worked, we had ibm's, compaq's, hp's, pb's, e-machine's, and nec's. from what we tested, the e-machines suck for hardware, compaq's are reliable if you don't look at it the wrong way and don't want to upgrade, the nec's did pretty good all around (didn't have them that long while i was there), the pb's suck all around, hp's did ok (some come with a burner in it already!), and the ibm's were complete crap. of the ones we sold, i'd have to guess almost 1/2 of them came back (these were the cheaper models, don't know about the higher end ones). bios problems, hd crashes, and other various problems. i am also worried about my parents dell that has a ibm hd in it, because it's started making all kinds of funny noises and norton disk doctor keeps coming up. as far as dell, they have good stuff, but i'd recommend reformatting before you get used to the setup- they have tons of crap on them that slows them down, and if you don't get rid of it, it'll really bog down your system (my parents computer, not mine). for anyone who values a dollar and wants a good setup, nothing will beat a home built setup. tiger direct also has a good setup and decent deals. everything they use is industry standard and can be switched out. my aunt's computer runs good, and performs well also. just some candid thoughts on brands and problems. good luck with what you have, and keep on tweaking!
    later lava ;-j

------------------
    lavajumper, master wizard
    visit our site at members.xoom.com/wizardofcomp
    why can i never think of anything witty to put in these?

Thread Information