CollinJ need your input on Expert help needed.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CollinJ need your input on Expert help needed.

Hybrid View

ankerson Guest

CollinJ need your input on Expert help needed.

CollinJ,

I haven't worked on this model yet any I really don't like to work on Compaq systems so I don't. I didn't know what he had till he told me.

I have never touched a Compaq before in my life

They are only now starting to get popular out where I am located. I had done my fair share on AST's, no Compaq's though.

Dont you just hate proprietary systems?

------------------
    Collin J
    HWC Administrator
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

ankerson Guest
    I hate them, they are the hardest systems to work on, nothing seems to work right when you change something.

I can get them to work, but it is tough.

Nightmares!!!!!!!!!

I charge big time to work on them.

[This message has been edited by ankerson (edited 07-04-99).]

Jeffy79 Guest
    Reason you have more problems is they do have chips probably on the motherboard they make so you can't upgrade them easily. This is actually very brilliant on their part so you have to buy their memory part or any other part. This dude asked for help with a problem he was having with no sound in Need For Speed 3. This was when I was on aol anyways. Well it looked like he needed a new sond card and he did. I don't know how he made out. I had a problem with a memory chip from another system in a very old packard bell and it wouldn't even recognize it. So i scratched that idear.

I myself rather build my own than buy a prebuilt from any maufacturer of pre-builts. Reason beign is its easier to upgrade and you can solve your own problems. My Aunt and Uncle want to get a new system sometime and I told them do not buy a compaq. I would build them one instead. Anyways thats my story and im stickin to it .

Jeff

I totally agree about building your own. Its the best way.

I don't know why people are so apprehensive when you offer to build one for them, though.

I've built about 15 or so, but when I offer my services to anyone they act like a built PC is a substandard thing.

Their Loss...

To be FRANK: Compaqs have the crapiest parts in them,thier a big pain in the arse.

They take the longest to boot.

Their on board vid/sound are the crapiest ever made.Their m/b the same the only thing worth 2cents are the h.d. cause compaq wasnt able to screw them up.lol.

That actually goes for alot of them like E-machines/hewlet packards just crap.

ankerson Guest
    Most people would be happy with the store bought systems because they use them as big word processers and Email machines.

For the rest of us they are junk.

Compaq, HP, Packard Bell, and the rest of them, except for IBM are not great.

Remember most people are not very smart when it comes to PC's and the big boys take advantage of that.

All we can do is try to tell people what the difference is, but with the advertising they do it is hard.

The Computer Mags are pushing the store bought stuff, and those Dells and Gateways.

My PII 350 will flat out run them all, It doesn't matter what processer they have, they are slow.

i agree, my self built p2/350 is blinding...
    i disagree on the dell/gateway groan, we use dells at work here in england and i think the build quality is some of the best around... once you uninstall all the software extra crap dell puts in there machines they run really well... i think their cases are very robust as well, plus double fan cooling which is a good touch.. mind you they do tend to intergrate the cheaper entry level stuff which is a disapointment in any computer as we all know.

------------------
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com

"I know what your thinking.... should have took the blue pill"

I agree whole-heartedly about the Packard Bell - Compaq statements, but I have to disagree about the gaetway and Dell comments. My folks picked up a Gateway and it's pretty fast, unfortunately they thought it would be better to "surprise" me when they had a computer rather that ask me what kind to buy. I have a Dell PII-450 and maxed out every option (except stayed with reg CD rom vs DVD) and it's a screamer. We use Dells at work here in the northeast US and they are high performance CADD machines. The work machines don't get the better soundcards (hell we just started getting ANY sound so no complaints there) and only come with the 8M video, but my home/gaming rig is kick *** with the 16M 2XAGP TNT card.

BTW, just in case someone is unaware, NEC and Packard Bell are brother/sister companies.

ankerson Guest
    I didn't rag the Dell or the Gateway systems, I said the magazines push them.

I don't think the magazines really PUSH dell or gateway as much as dell and gateway really invest in six page ads for every computer-related magazine. It's all about the money.

About the Compaq thing, I have worked on a lot of Compaq's, and they are a strange breed. The higher end machines tend to include non-integrated sound and video, but they are extremely finicky. A large percentage require a specific type of RAM (exactly 3.3volts for example), and most have a hard time using new video and sound cards (as do many Packard Bell's, Emachines, and IBM's that are sold in retail store). Building your own is definitely the way to go for the veteran user.

I definitely agree about building your own, but just out of curiosity, anybody know if IBM does a decent job or are they as bad as everybody else?

ankerson Guest
    IBM does a pretty good job with their higher end systems.

Only way you get better system by homebilut and get good motherboard. Find good name motherboard is important like tyan,gigabyte and etc.If you know how to built will be better.Mine system is gigabyte mb 440bx ,
    voodoo3,64 ram,and etc that it work fine so far. Depend on your knowledge problem then fix it.

p.s. i agree with flavio.
    Also when you get good motherboard so if upgrade that mb will be no problem cause have
    book manual instruction have specific complete help you to be able to upgrade your mb.

Thread Information