MG400 Max?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: MG400 Max?

MG400 Max?

Should I get the M400 as oppossed to the Voodoo3 3500, or TNT2 Ultra?

If you plan on playing OpenGL games (Quake, Quake2, Quake3, Kingpin, Half Life, Sin, Heretic 2, etc etc etc), stay away from the G400 Max. Its OpenGL drivers are very bad right now.

------------------
    Collin J
    HWC Administrator
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

yes, a TNT2 is the way to go for fast gaming. None of the games now in the market support bump mapping anyways and you won't see them until next year.

The new openGL drivers found on the Matrox site are GREAT with the G200 card,I play all of those GL games and they look real nice now compaired to before.Except for very slight zagged lines on ladders,rails etc..in Half-Life it seems pretty good to me,still G200 kinda slow,thats why I ordered a G400.

Another thread says the G400 max cards are not shipping in large numbers until September.

I am enjoying my V770 Ultra right now.

Later

By the time the G400 MAX is widely released the OpenGL drivers will be corrected, it is said to be around 40% increase in performance. I have the Plain G400 and it performs Quake2 timedemo1/2 at 1024x768 @ 51 to 57 FPS now if you think that sucks then you are in the wrong formum. This is with non optimized OpenGL drivers with now. It plays Q3TEST better than any card I have tested, this includes the Viper770 U. So please if you have not owned or tested the hardware, try not to give uninformed advice. I have owned and tested all the major players on many different configurations and the G400 is the only one that offers any amount of new hardware from the Dual displays, to ultra crisp DVD playback, to the Base design from which it was built around the AGP4x architechture. This is no piece of crap, and the only gripe I have is that the MAX was supposed to be shipping the 7th of July, and it had been put off till 9/9 but you know I can wait he 6 to 8 weeks, it is supposed to be 32% faster than my version, and the OpenGL drivers are supposed to be matured then to. Now if you think that Quake2 at 1024X768X32bit at 75 fps is bad then you must be able to see above the 30-35fps human limits.

Eclypse

"The best thing about having computers as a hobby is that you can justify your budget to your wife "

FYI Half-Life looks and runs absolutely awesome on the G400 at high resolutions using the OpenGL (No artifacts in the images with the Full OpenGL ICD supplied with the card) or D3D drivers. I play many many games on this card with out any problems and nothing but good things to say about it.

Eclypse.

I would hold out for the MAX cause the faster ram and higher clock rate.

V3 3500 is there such a thing *hehe* I havn't seen the creature.

[This message has been edited by Eclypse (edited 07-09-99).]
    "The best thing about having computers as a hobby is that you can justify your budget to your wife "

Thread Information