Need new TNT2 Ultra card
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need new TNT2 Ultra card

Need new TNT2 Ultra card

I'm debating between the Viper V770 and the Hercules Dynamite. The only problem is that the Hercules is going to take forever to order and the Viper V770 is right down the road. Is there any other Ultra card that you guys would suggest? Thanks..

ankerson Guest
    I would buy the V770 Ultra. You really are not going to see any differance in speed playing games. The V770 is a click slower in the benchmarks, but they are very close.

The Diamond Viper v770 and ultra is not the best, by a considerable margin. The Hercules Dynamite TNT2 Ultra kicks all the TNT2 cards. They arent as fast (and expensive too).

The Order of the best TNT2 goes something like this ;

Hercules TNT2 32 mb Ultra
    Guillemot Maxi Gammer Xentor 32mb
    Diamond Viper V770 Ultra
    CL Ultra TNT2

This is what I have seen on many review sites eg Sharky extreme, CNET, Review Zone etc and from my personel experiemce the Xentor is the best bet as you get Kingpin and another game with a card that is awesome.

------------------
    I have Nothing to Fear..
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

I have the Xentor 32 and would recommend it to anyone. It is an excellent card and is very fast. Every bit as fast as a Herc from the reviews that I have read and my experience with the frame rates on this card.

It comes with OEM versions of Kingpin and Speed Busters, as well as the Xing DVD player (one of the 2 best software DVD players available) and has TV-out. All of this for $229 american, but it has a 30 mail in rebate to bring the price down to 199. Shop around and you may be able to find it cheaper (229 is the suggested retail price).

------------------
    Collin J
    HWC Administrator
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

ankerson Guest
    Luke Skywalker,

He asked what was the best not the fastest. The reviews that you mentioned were based on speed.

The V770 ultra is the most stable one on the market, and it's not the fastest, but they are very close.

I know the Maxie Gamer is faster, it is a good card, but I don't have one.

I buy Diamond because they make great video cards, I test the others when I can.

The latest review that I read was in Maximum PC magizine and the V770 came out on top all around.

[This message has been edited by ankerson (edited 07-07-99).]

Yeah, No Problem, I was just pointing out that the diamond card isn't the best, that is all. No malice to those who bought one including you. I am not having a go at you GEEZ !.

You said something like this in another video post so I thought i would point out that the diamond isnt all that great.

------------------
    I have Nothing to Fear..
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

ankerson Guest
    In reality they are all good, they all are within a small margin in frame rates. Fastest is not always the best, with the overclocking programs out there they can be clocked the same. Some of the card manufactures clocked them alot higher than others. I go more by the board manufacturer and the quality and stability of the card first.
    Plus I recommend what I know works, from my experence.
    CollinJ has a Maxie Gamer, and he likes it so I is a good card, but I haven't tested one yet.

[This message has been edited by ankerson (edited 07-07-99).]

Actually, at default clock speeds the Xentor and Herc are 10+fps faster (in higher resolutions) than the other Ultra TNT-2 cards out there. That is a fair amount. At lower resolutions such as 800x600 and 640x480, there is not alot of performance difference, because the card is CPU limited, not fill rate limited. The things going for the Xentor 32 and Herc Ultra is that they are guarantied to run at the clock speeds they shipped at, no overclocking needed, and no risk of instability from overclocking the core of other cards to 175mhz.

I dont think the Viper is any more stable than any of the other TNT-2 cards out there. As a matter of fact, most of the stability has to do with the drivers that the card uses, and what versions are shipped with the card. Most manufacturers ship drivers for their cards that are older and are the most stable available. This allows the card to run very good right out of the box, but the performance out of the box is hindered because of older drivers.

Any Ultra TNT-2 would be a good purchase, you just need to evaluate the bundle and price, and get whatever seems to fit your needs the most.

For me it was a no brainer. I phoned around several places, everyone had v770 standards in both retail and OEM packages (no Ultra's). Only one place had a Xentor 32. None of the other cards were available (I shop at local computer stores, shopping online doesnt get me better pricing). The Xentor 32 after rebate was priced the same as the standard v770 32mb(retail box) and the Voodoo3 3000. Needless to say I got the Xentor 32, no questions asked. (spur of the moment fathers day thing )
    Sometimes I wonder...

I wonder why everybody says that CL TNT2 ULtra is worst TNT2 U. I think the CL TNT2 U is the best after Hercules TNT2 U. I've got one with the processor at 190Mhz and Mem at 220Mhz and Ultra stable. Never had any problems with it!

Its considered the worst because its the slowest out of the box, has no bundle what to speak of, costs around the same as a Viper v770, has the most reports of problems and bad cards.

------------------
    Collin J
    HWC Administrator
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

Get the Hercules Dynamite TNT2 Ultra is the best. The V770 is not as good at games as the Dynamite and I would recommend waiting until it ships out. It is worth the wait.

Thread Information