TNT2 vs Everything else
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT2 vs Everything else

TNT2 vs Everything else

Can anyone PLEASE help me i am building a new PC and am not sure what the best graphics adaptor is. I also need one that has DVD acceleration and maybe TV out has the TNT2 got this? Every thing about the V3 seems a bit sketchy being theres 3 models at the moment im turning towards S4 but would like some help on whether the TNT2 is going to be best for the system

System Spec

Gigabyte Ga6Bxc
    creative DVD 6x
    17.2 seagate HD
    2x Voodoo2 SLI
    256mb PC100 memory
    P3 450

Thanx Madmart

In my opinion, without question the TNT2(reg. or ultra) will be the best card for your setup there. This card runs great on PIIIs. Just as good as the V3 3000, and since you already have an SLI setup, I would steer away from the V3. With a TNT2, and SLI setup, you really have the best of all worlds. Whether its D3D, openGL, or glide you've got the bases covered, and covered well my friend. Most TNT2 manufacturers have a model with DVD, and TVout, but some don't, you'll just have to check the specs.

[This message has been edited by dock44 (edited 06-30-99).]

Thanx Dock44. Could someone explain the difference with the 2 TNT2 cards mentioned(reg or ultra) whats the major differences in performance or arent there any.

Madmart

The ultra cards' chip/memory are clocked a little higher. Most commonly 125/150 for the regular and 150/183 for the ultra, and then there are variations on those norms from different manufacturers. In game, you probably won't notice much difference between the two, except for maybe the newest, most graphically demanding games. If money is not an option and you want the fastest card, get an ultra. If it is, compare the reg. TNT2s for the price and features you want.

I am not sure how TNT performance is with DVD playback, but from what I have read the v3 3000 does great playback at 30 fps and over constantly. Did you get the CL DVD kit with the decoder or just the drive? If you have just the drive, most of the cards come with software to play DVD's or a coupon to mail away for software. Either way all the cards are good. I would stay away from the s4 unless your pressed for cash and still want a 32 meg card that can do 32 bit.

Many people will say that the v3 is no improvement over a v2 sli. Well for the most part they are wrong. The point being that you can go to resolutions higher than 1024x768 is a big factor, plus the 2d is the best out of all the cards, and the image quality in 16 bit, 3d is far superior from the v2. But do a little research and see what's best for you.

------------------
    At last, We will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Thanx for all the help guy's ive just ordered the TNT2 Ultra from Diamond hopfully ill get it in the next couple of days so i will see how things go thanx again for the help..

MadMart

Thread Information