Is the Banshee powerful enough for 3d games?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Is the Banshee powerful enough for 3d games?

Is the Banshee powerful enough for 3d games?

hey, im getting a banshee and was just wondering if it will handle 3d games like Unreal, half-life, quake2, and quake3. Is the banshee powerful enought to handle these games at good frame rates? heres the specs of my system:

Celeron 300 o/c 464 @ 2.0v
    128 megs pc-t00 8ns ram
    abit bx6 rev.2
    creative labs 5x dvd w/ dxr3 decoder

any help will be appreiated.
    quote cfour - nevermore.

You should be able to get decent enough performance in those games at about 640x480, not much more. The banshee is a good card for D3D and GLide, but it is not a great card for Mini/OpenGL games like Quake2, Quake3 and Half Life. Unreal will run ok, probably at no more than about 800x600.

The banshee is lacking a second texture pipeline, so it does not allow for multitexturing. All of the games that you mentioned take advantage of multitexturing and will get a performance drop because of the banshee's lack.

If you have not purchased it yet, I would recommend to not get it and go for at least a Voodoo3 2000 (which is not much more than a Banshee anyway).

------------------
    Collin J
    HWC Administrator
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

I just picked up a CL Banshee for 60.00 . not bad, but if you don't find one very cheap, you should just get a v2000 or a tnt.
    I didn't know she was your sister...I swear!

Well, I only payed $40 for it, and im only getting it for the summer... until the nv10 comes out... so im hoping the banshee will hold me over until then.

------------------
    quote cfour - nevermore.
    quote cfour - nevermore.

A banshee will deliver stable 3d frame rates but nothing spectacular. That is why they push the " Amazing 2d side of the chip and the solid 3d side"

As someone suggested a V3 2000 would do good and a Dynamite or Xentor TNT2 would scream along. It is really up to how much you want to spend eg TNT2=$200 mark or V3 =$90-$150 mark (very rough indicies)

I had a banshee for two days and it was the Creative Banshee, it was shockingly bad. I tried to play Hexen 2 (opengl) and it stuttered like porky pig even with a p2 300.

The Choice is yours.Good Luck

------------------
    Over the lips and past the gums, look out stomach here it comes
    Over the lips and past the gums, look out stomach here it comes

I had a couple different banshees I had the maxi gamer phoenix,and the monster fusion,both worked great,

unreal at 1024x768 noproblem
    halflife at 1280x1024 looked fine
    quake 2 at 1024x768 no problem

These were the resolutions I played with online and had decent framerates about mid 20's 800x600 would produce around 30 in actuality the other games that did not use multitexturing the banshee was faster then the voodoo2.One word of caution ,I did have problems with my monster fusion DRIVERS.So I did use 3dfx drivers even though they say not to .Because when they write the games they use the reference drivers at 3dfx not diamond or creative labs divers and those are compatable with all my games,some of my D3D games were having problems.Also I noticed that diamond never updated thier glide2/glide3 drivers they kept using older versions.

Thread Information