Which budget card should I get?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which budget card should I get?

Hybrid View

Which budget card should I get?

I'm building a system around a K6-2 400 on a SOYO 5EMA+ with an AGP slot. [please dont bother slagging the board I've already heard all the arguments for and against :-) ] I'm looking for a card to play 3D games on but dont have a lot to spend. I'd looked at 4Mb AGP Trident 9750 3D (v cheap), 8Mb PCI ATI 3D Rage Pro Expert@Play (about $60) or the AGP version of the same (about $70). Can you suggest which is best or an alternative that's not going to break the bank. I'm in the UK so bear in mind shipping if your going to suggest mail order from the US.

Hope you can help.

John.
    one more tweak and I'll leave it alone......

Hmmm, I'm not sure about UK prices, but I would suggest getting a Banshee card. Or at the very least a cheap 2d card coupled with the original Voodoo Graphics (What I'm stuck with now ).

Heck thats an easy one. With the release of the TNT2 the original TNT's are a bargin. Viper550, Riva blaster...ETC...... 16 meg, 32 bit all for around 75 bucks. Check out www.priceline.com.... You cant go wrong with these cards.

DEANRIL Guest
    www.pricewatch.com $49 for a 16meg voodoo banshee excellant card for the $$$$$,but I highly recomend a v3 2000 $99

First off, who the hell said that the SOYO 5EMA+ is a bad board! It's the best socket 7 board on the market! If anyone has a problem with that board, I'd be willing to talk specs all day long, but anyway... I've been looking for the same type of card and I'm gonna go with a voodoo3 2000 ($90), but if you want quality with a good price, get a Maxi Gamer Phoenix Voodoo Banshee ($60) from www.buycomp.com
    If god hadn't intended for us to eat animals then why'd he make them out of meat?

SOYO Socket 7 sucks, the best Super7 card is the EPoX MVPG3M and the Iwill XA100. Even ASUS P5-A will looks bad when compare it with EPoX MVP3GM

------------------
    GyX

You can get either a 16Mb Riva TNT or a 16Mb Banshee for about $60 or less. Either one is a good choice.

I can't give you any details but I'm sure I've seen UK computer magazines that appear to have alot of place to buy computer parts at a reasonable price. You shouldn't have to ship from the US.

I would also suggest a Banshe, Preferably th Maxi Gamer Voodoo Banshee Phoienix v/card.

The benchmarks for this card show that it is second to only the Monster Fusion for heaps less than the price.

It is the best bet and as stated you should be able to pick them up for $70- $60 US

------------------
    Over the lips and past the gums, look out stomach here it comes
    Over the lips and past the gums, look out stomach here it comes

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone. I think the vote is fairly clearly for a 16mb Voodoo II Banshee - probably the Maxi Gamer. I'll let you know how I get on with it...

Cheers

John.
    one more tweak and I'll leave it alone......

Thread Information