V3 or TNT2 on a 300MHz
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: V3 or TNT2 on a 300MHz

V3 or TNT2 on a 300MHz

Im looking to buy a new video card. I have a 300MHz AMD K6-2 w/ 3Dnow processor. i currently have 64MB RAM, will have 128 soon. Which card will run the best on my machine? I've heard that the TNT2's don't run great on machines under 400MHz...

ankerson Guest
    Get the V3 card for your machine, they run the best on the AMD stuff.
    What do you mean that the TNT2 doesn't run good on anything under 400mhz?
    I have a PII 350 and it is screaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look at my post V770 on a clean install.

ankerson-
    i read that about the TNT2 on this site. I have no experience with it, just hear say. Thanks for the input...

Ankerson the Voodoo3 would probably score higher on your P2 350 than your TNT2.
    The Voodoo3 is less CPU dependent than the TNT2, and therefore better for "slower" machines.
    I'm not hacking the TNT2. It's in many ways better than the V3, but not if you want high speed on a less powerful machine.

ankerson Guest
    Mr.Bean,

It might, but I will be slamming a PIII 450 in soon so I will not worry to much. Thanks for the input.
    There is nothing slow about a PII 350, it has more speed than most people need.

[This message has been edited by ankerson (edited 06-21-99).]

Sorry Ankerson. I didn't mean SLOW. I just stated "slower", because a lot of folks has a 400 mhz+ CPU.
    You're right about 350 mhz being enough for most people, but many of us maniacs seem to be hungry for more power! (Including me. I will also buy a P3 450 very soon). By the way, if your P2 is fast enough why upgrade?

Not sure why people like to upgrade so frequently other than for status.

I'll upgrade when I can't play games I like fast anymore. I think my 350P2/V3 combo should last me until winter or so.

Also, when I upgrade I like to make a BIG jump. Makes me feel like I got my money's worth

I went from an i740 card to the V3 = BIG jump.

Next I will go from a 350/V3 to a 600/(next-gen) = BIG jump.

I could goto a 450/TNT2 or 450/G400MAX in between, but why?

ankerson Guest
    Well us crazy people want more speed, that is why I will be putting that PIII 450 in.

The new 1.88 TNT/TNT-2 drivers give the TNT-2 a boost up to the same level as a p2 in performance on that card. I have some buddies with AMD processors that got a 50% increase in performance with their AMD processors and TNT video cards, their performance is now on par with a p2 at the same clock speed. I have not tested on AMD simply because I dont own one, but I do have a Celeron 300a @450 that I tested at both 300 and 450mhz on my Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 (Ultra TNT-2). Here are some Quake2 numbers:

1024x768 16 / 32bit color 300mhz:
    demo.dm2: 68.9 / 54.2
    crusher.dm2: 41.2 / 37.0

(32bit scores were with the old 1.30 drivers, and should improve with the 1.88 drivers, I will go and check that now. )

------------------
    Collin J
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

Hey Jay, the first question I have to ask is do you have an ALi or an MVP chipset on your mo-board? Most socket 7 boards do. The TNT2 is not compatible with these chipsets, so it's a total waste of money to even try a TNT2. After spending 3 hours on the phone with the creative labs idiots I found this out. I have an AMD K6III-400 with a 16MB AGP Monster Fusion with a 12MB Monster II. I know it's not the greatest combo but who's perfect besides me. :-)~ Hope this helped you with your choice.

AMD RULES!!!
    If you don't have a real computer, don't even bother me :-)~

Thread Information