Best gaming card
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best gaming card

Best gaming card

Can someone tell me which 3d video card is best to play alien v predator. We have a ATI 4mb Rage, the games are choppy. What card would play smoother on a HP pavilion. This is a new computer. We just got it in Feb.
    CD

3dfx Voodoo3 3000 or 2000
    Last Night I Dreamed I Ate A 10 Pound Marshmellow, And When I Woke Up My Pillow Was Gone....

slap a voodoo2 on that puppy, if you have a slower cpu.
    but if you got a p2 krank a TNT or even a 16 meg TNT2
    but if you got the k6's the V3
    also if you have a very fast cpu and lots of money take a matrox g400
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

Thanks for the help to all who responded.
    This is for my son who lives 200 miles away and I need a video card that will not cause him problems but play his games. He knows nothing about a computer except playing games and typing his reports.
    Thanks again, anymore susjestions, please respond. He is on pins and needles wanting his games to play better.

------------------
    CD
    CD

Can you specify what kind of system you have (CPU, CPU Speed, RAM, etc.)?

If you have a 350Mhz Intel or slower get a TNT. You can pick one up for less than 70 bucks online.

If you have any AMD 300 or faster you should get a vooDoo 3 2000. I dont think he needs the 3000. It also costs 80 dollars more, and all you get extra is a TV-OUT and a few Mhz that you can get for free by overclocking.

If you have a High performance CPU, good RAM (LOTS), and money, you should consider a TNT2 Ultra, V3 3500, Matrox G400, or a 3D Labs Oxygen VX1.

------------------
    Visit My Site At:

http://members.xoom.com/ultimate3d/

If choppy frame rates and pausing suddenly in games is the problem get a Voodoo 3.

Maybe a 3000, or a 3500 to be safe.

Dont get a TNT or TNT2 they dont have the frame rate power the voodoo 3 does and are prone to jerkyness and pauses.

(my comp is a PIII 450, 128 RAM, 13.gb, ABIT BX6 2.0 MB)

I own a Voodoo 3 3000 and a TNT2
    Generalizatiion is easy

If choppy frame rates and pausing suddenly in games is the problem get a Voodoo 3.

Maybe a 3000, or a 3500 to be safe.

Dont get a TNT or TNT2 they dont have the frame rate power the voodoo 3 does and are prone to jerkyness and pauses.

(my comp is a PIII 450, 128 RAM, 13.gb, ABIT BX6 2.0 MB)

I own a Voodoo 3 3000 and a TNT2
    Generalizatiion is easy

I agree with kurdt. The TNT drivers are getting better slowly, but for now V3 has much better texture management.

Jeffy79 Guest
    I wouldn't go spend money on a voodoo3 or tnt2. You just don't need the power. Go buy a TNT or buy a couple voodoo2's and SLI them. I have a TNT card and I tried the alien v preditor and well it runs smooth as hell on this card. You will save yourself money.

Jeff

Get a voodoo3 2000 its only a little bit more money than the tnt and its image quality is the same or better and the framerates are alot faster its about the same price as 2 v2's in sli mode but better image quality trust meif you have an amd or intel he would like a voodoo3 and there so easy to install and cheap! (129.99) at retail stores

[This message has been edited by V33dfxpwr (edited 06-20-99).]
    Last Night I Dreamed I Ate A 10 Pound Marshmellow, And When I Woke Up My Pillow Was Gone....

I wont go into wich card is better.. because as you can see there is a strong argument for both sides of the voodoo vs. Tnt.
    One thing I will say is that the voodoo was by far the easiest card to install that I have ever dealt with. The drivers worked right the FIRST time without having to search for updates. and then having to download and install them. I have both cards and I can't rate the TNT2 because it doesn't work well with my system.. I think that may be due to my chipset (ALI) I hear ALI and TNT doesn't always get along. For a beginner in video cards I would suggest the voodoo for overall ease of use. (damn I just know I am gonna get flamed for this!)

Good Luck

------------------
    Puter junkie in training
    Here is a pic of me
    Rich "Tech wanna be!"

members.aol.com/kingwands/me.jpg

hey guys, if what you're looking for is flat out fps, or if you have an amd or low-end cpu, your best bet would be to go with a voodoo card, either an add on v2 or v3 for primary card. in all truthfullness, with the 1.88 drivers, my cl oem tnt gets close to the same benches in 3dmarkmax99 as my friends o/c v3 3000 (190). actually, i think it beats it in some reses (oc9?). but, these drivers seem to have some issues with q2, seeing as my 640*480 benches dropped by about 20-30 fps (same as my other friends). i haven't gotten a solid reason for this yet, but it's blatantly apparent. both of our tnt's are running on o/c celerons @472 or 464, and formerly got around 80 or more fps, and are now getting about 50's. it just depends on your cpu, games to be played, amount of ram, etc...
    if you want fps, go with a v3 or if you have a high end cpu, a tnt2 or g400 (are those retail yet?). (if you get a tnt2, go with the herc one, it's supposedly awesome) if you want cheap good frames, go with the v3 2000 or tnt if you have a good cpu. no matter what you decide, keep on gaming- there's no better past time. later lava ;-j
    why can i never think of anything witty to put in these?

Lavajumper, I already answered your frame rate drop before, you need to enable multi texturing on your TNT. Look at some sites like www.planetriva.com or www.riva3d.com you should be able to find the registry tweak info there.

The new drivers disable multitexturing at 16bit (dont ask me why), you need to alter the registry, I explained to you before, but you didnt seem to understand. My FPS increased by 10% with the new drivers over the old one with my CL TNT. I just got a Maxigamer Xentor 32 today, and I have only been able to test it with the old stock drivers, but anyone saying to not get a TNT-2 because they are slow or have bad texturing, probably have never seen one run before in their lives.

My new TNT-2 gets very high FPS at high resolutions, and in 32bit color. I am getting 75fps at 1024x768 in quake2 16bit color, 55fps in 32bit color, this with the old drivers). Texturing in every game I have ever played on either TNT or my new TNT-2 Ultra is excellent, including D3D games, Quake2, Quake3: Arena, etc. No problems at all, and the image quality is top notch.

One thing that we need to know is if you have an AGP slot or if your video is built in. If your video is a built in non upgradable part, get a Voodoo3 2000, or a PCI TNT. The V3 2000 would probably be a better choice though, as it is alot faster than a standard TNT, and TNT-2's will not be available in PCI for some time yet (nvidia only recently built a reference PCI version of the TNT-2)

------------------
    Collin J
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

alos make sure you dotn have like 25 programs running while his is playing...

lamers will buy whatever the "best" out there and piss off later on.

smart ones will evaluate his needs and get what his $ worth.

It seems the lamers are winning so far.

------------------
    GyX

Thread Information