Fast PCI Graphics for OC system
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Fast PCI Graphics for OC system

Fast PCI Graphics for OC system

I have an ASUS T2P4 Motherboard with AMD K6-2 350MHz OC'd to 415 (83 X 5)- very stable! I have 128MB of EDO ram. This mobo is capable of up to 83X6 with an AMD chip, but the 350 is pretty much maxed out....;^) It has no AGP slot, and as I say, 83.3 is the maximum FSB.

I'm currently running an ATI Expert 98 (Rage Pro, 8MB) and doing OK, but I'm pretty sure there is a graphics bottle neck on this thing. What is the best I can do for ~$100 or so - V3-2000 PCI? Should I expect to increase the 3D graphics speed, and resolution. I mainly play XWingAlliance, BattleZone, HalfLife. I may have to break down and buy a real Super7 mobo in the coming year (Intel is evil), but I think a hundred buck investment now will get me to that day quite well.

Any thoughts?
    Go Badgers!

ankerson Guest
    The v3 2000 will be fine for your system I believe, you are thinking in the right direction.
    Have fun.

On a more general note, how can I tell if the performance bottleneck is in the graphics or somewhere else? Isn't it possible that I've already maximized the framerate, given the PCI bus? Of course, the bus is running overspec, due to the overclock to 83.3 FSB : Is the V3-2000 capable of handling the non-standard FSB?
    Go Badgers!

ankerson Guest
    It is your bus speed and that PCI video card, just get that v3 and you will see a nice improvement.

Thread Information