Sorry tnt-2 ultra fans but v-3 is king
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorry tnt-2 ultra fans but v-3 is king

Sorry tnt-2 ultra fans but v-3 is king

I hate to tell you guys this but the voodoo3 is doing a better job on my PIII 500 right now than My tnt 2 ultra. I have both cards now. the tnt has some texturing problems in Half life and there is still some control lag in the d3d games I've used. TNT-@ has nothing to be ashamed of in the framerate dept. They are right up there. I'll not be returning the TNT though because I think this may be just due to immiture drivers. I think not too far down the road that the TNT-2 I've got is going to come in mighty handy. But for now the v-3 is kickin' asses and taking names!

I've tried two TNT's and a TNT2 over the last several months and have noticed the same thing. Benchmarks are good but in certain situations the texture rendering is horrible, a sudden change in speed which is really annoying.

It's widely known in the developer community that the TNT's are not very good in texture management. Whether this ever gets corrected or not is uncertain. The TNT's has been out for a long time now so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The V3 is considered the best at texture management. Though there are a few issues with it's D3D drivers at the moment.

What kind of D3D Issues. For one, My Two V2's w/ the Quake 3 Compatible drivers from 3DFX(reference Drivers) make the enemies in Theif: The Dark Project have a deformed head.

Anyone tried Recoil Demo yet? Its a game where you race small remote controlled cars around the neighbor hood... My brother got Two V2's to add to his TNT, his TNT looks sharper. I wonder if this is because of higher textures. Also, the TNT was faster in D3D than the two V2's. The TNT didn't seem to hot with frame rates because it seemed slightly jerky, yet mostly unnotisable. The V2's played smooth except for in a few spots of the demo... Are the driver issues?

ankerson Guest
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. I don't see any problems with my V770 or did I with my old V550, they both looked very good. I also tested a Monster Fusion card and the image quality was pretty good also. The TNT cards had better image quality than the others, depending on the game you are playing. Glide games look best on 3DFX chips remember.

Well, my voodoo3 stays in my computer for now. The TNT-U stays in my toy drawer for now. Mabye I pull it out later when the game textures require it and therefore I have to put up with the crappy texture corruption in some games. Just my over blown excited usless opining!

Well Siren that is the revolt demo, and The TNT has much better looking graphics than 2 V2s. The V3 is much improved in image quality of the V2s and it looks the same if not better than the TNT now. The V2s are the problem.

------------------
    At last, We will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Have you seen screenshot comparisons between the Voodoo3 and the TNT/TNT-2's? There is still no comparison. The Voodoo3 still looks like *** compared to the TNT in many things. Some games look very close, but alot are still very different.

There are all kinds of direct image quality comparisons at different sites, showing split screens of images with one card and the other, there is still a large difference.

------------------
    Collin J
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

vidfreek:

That's a common mistake.. people think that the image quality of V3 is equal to V2.. definitly it's far better..

collin:

Really, the TNT image quality is better in many games because it can handle bigger textures and 32 bits.. but everybody knows it.. but in some games, the V3 is far superior because of the Glide support (ex.. NFS3, Fifa 99)... I think there's no absolute winner in this case... depends of the game you are playing...

A common argument of the nVidia fans is that for the new games that are coming TNT will be superior.. but come on.. you don't buy a card thinking on the games that will come.. when they are released, there will be a lot more options of cards, and probably the one that you bought will be obsolte. You must buy the video card that best fits in the games you have.

So in my opinnion,for the games that I like to play today, the V3 is far better than TNT, and even that TNT2 (I tested all them). Please notice that this is a personal opinnion based only in the games that I often play today.

I have different opinnions of mine, of course, mainly from friends who play flight simulation games... I tested and really, in simulators from Jane for example, TNT is superior than V3 2k.

So, I think this choice depends of the games you play.

I agree with you stingray, in my opinion it doesnt pay off to buy a $250 card for the future, everyone who has bought one, I think just wasted their money, I only paid 95 bucks for my v3 2000 and it can play everything out there without a hitch. Today there just arent enough games that take advantage of what the TNT2 has to offer, I can see quake3 being a biggie, but im running it just fine with my v3 and it looks great to me. Its all personal preference, but people who buy for the future dont take into account that there is nothing out there right now that REALLY utilizes AGP and 32 bit coloring, but hey you do what you want, im sticking with the V3

And again we come back too the 32 bit vs. 16 bit again, what really uses 32 bit color, quake3 and unreal? maybe? and quake2, but not too much else, its too much for the game and it puts too much strain on the card, it takes double the bandwith and memory usage to use 32 bit, and AGP just isnt fast enough yet to get the frame rates from it, the only thing that helps the TNT on say, amd systems, is because of the 3dnow, not because of AGP usage, and the 16 bit with the V3 looks the same as TNT, better in my opinion, I used to have a TNT and was very dissappointed with it. I just dont see an advantage to it right now, and game developers know its too much to have 24 and 32 bit textures with their games, thats why there are only a few out. Opinion only.
    ------------------
    At last, We will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.

[This message has been edited by Vidfreek (edited 06-17-99).]
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

For now I'm using a CL Riva TNT.......picked it up for $69......I may upgrade to a V3 2000......the price/performance ratio is great!.......@ under $100 you can't go wrong......I am also very impressed with what Riva is doing with the TNT2's......but @ prices over $200 for a quality Ultra card the price/performance ratio is a little off......when I see more programs using 32bit colors I may think of going towards a TNT Ultra.......Maybe by then prices will be reasonable too.....I don't see v3 as better than tnt2 or tnt2 better than v3 so I don't see why people bicker over it......there is also a little company called Matrox with a pretty hot card.....I'm gonna look into that one too.....Matrox had a pretty big following but has fallen behind........For now my TNT1 rules.......but I'm nosing towards the V3......

Tempest156, where did u buy the CL RIVA TNT, and it costs only $69? Is it an OEM or a Retail? It seems darn cheap to me.

------------------
    GyX

My TNT2 Ultra card does kind of a slighlty glitchy thing as well. It runs fine, then all of a sudden stops for maybe half a second then continues. It's very slight but very noticable and has happened on multiple D3D games. If you ask me the G400 Max is the only way to go for Image Quality. But who knows since it's not officially out yet?

- DJ

djroberts,

That's an interesting fact.. I have noticed it in my STB 4400 (TNT) too.. in games like Fifa 99 it happen many times during a game, and sometimes in decisive moments.. (imagine that you are going to shoot for a goal and it stops for a fraction of seconds..).. and this was one of the things that more disappointed me in TNT.. and made me rush for a V3.

yes, we are back to the 16bit vs, 32 colour again. Has anyone ever heard of a little GAME OF THE YEAR called HALF-LIFE???? In my opinion it has far more better and realisic graphics than quake 3 anyday. I used to have an ati xpert 128 on the rage 128 chipset with it's precious 32 bits of colour, and what happens when you set windows to 32 bit colour, you get the message
    "half-life is set to run in 16-bit colour, please set your display to 16 bit."

------------------
    a wise man once stated, "a man whose thoughts are of 22-bit, will think equally clear and precise if not faster, than a man who must sacrifice speed and precision over clarity at 32-bit."

(no offense.....alright, just a little)

djroberts,

That is one more prove that today, 32 bits isn't so useful... it will certainly be in future games, but when 32 bits become a standard certainly all these cards that we have today will be completely obsolete.

And I think that the same rule applies to the bigger textures that TNT support and V3 doesn't.

Thread Information