Windows 7 install problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows 7 install problem

Windows 7 install problem

I spent most of yesterday Re-installing then RE-RE-installing Windows 7 on my computer. The reason is the question. At the end of the first re-install, I went into regedit and changed the default installation directory (per this, and after a reboot, I could not run exe files. I could open windows explorer, go to the file, double click on it, and got an error message saying "cannot find whatever.exe, make sure you typed the name correctly" even though it was right there. It would allow some exes to run (explorer), but not others (Task Manager wouldn't run, and I couldn't run regedit to undo it). Anyone have useful info? I'd like to not put every thing on the C drive (reason I was reinstalling), but I'd like to have a working pc. Thanks
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Is there a specific reason why you need to change it in the registry? IMO most programs are well behaved and ask for a location on install
    The procedure you linked mentioned there's a slightly different procedure (as well as more keys for the multiple Program Files folders) in x64 Windows, did you use that method?

On both of my systems (SSD C: for OS/main apps, HDD D: for data/secondary apps), I just create a "Program Files II" folder on my D: and install bulky/less used software there. The only settings I change in Windows are the folder locations for everything under My Documents (music, pictures, videos, etc.) to point to folders on my D: drive. The AppData/user folders stay on the C:, except the aforementioned My Documents stuff.

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Most do, but a few don't, some of them update to the default (*cough coughMICROSOFT coughGOOGLE) and my kids don't pay attention. I was doing it that way because, that's the way I thought it had to be done. I did see the reference to editing both registries, and I did.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Thread Information