Converting my system to SSD's, is Formatting an SSD Required?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Converting my system to SSD's, is Formatting an SSD Required?

Converting my system to SSD's, is Formatting an SSD Required?

My old system is beginning to give me some problems and I am doing a rebuild. I want to install my OS on a new SSD. I have read some places that a SSD is ready to use right of the box and other places say it needs to be formatted. The installation videos on the Kingston website do not indicate that formatting is required. So formatted or not formatted and will the OS installation handle the formatting as usual?

Also ran into another small problem, neither on the CD/DVD drives I have laying around have SATA connectors, the are old IDE drives. My new MOBO does not have any IDE connections. I was wondering if I can unplug all of my drives on my existing system, install the SSD and use the old IDE connected optical drive to install the OS on the SSD, then break the system down and install all of the new components? Since I couldn't find my old Win 7 Ultimate disc. I picked up a new Win 7 Pro disc if that makes a difference? Will I end up causing any problems with the OS in the rebuild when I install the new MOBO (new BIOS and all)?
    AMD Athlon II X4
    Asus M4A785TD-EVO
    Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt
    4 GB GSkill DDR3 1333
    320 GB Maxtor IDE
    1-500 GB WD SATA
    Asus 52X SATA DVD
    Win 7 64

Quote Originally Posted by Scott101 View Post
    My old system is beginning to give me some problems and I am doing a rebuild. I want to install my OS on a new SSD. I have read some places that a SSD is ready to use right of the box and other places say it needs to be formatted. The installation videos on the Kingston website do not indicate that formatting is required. So formatted or not formatted and will the OS installation handle the formatting as usual?
    AFAIK, no internal SSDs come preformatted, so you will have to create and format the partition(s) you want in the Windows installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott101 View Post
    Also ran into another small problem, neither on the CD/DVD drives I have laying around have SATA connectors, the are old IDE drives. My new MOBO does not have any IDE connections. I was wondering if I can unplug all of my drives on my existing system, install the SSD and use the old IDE connected optical drive to install the OS on the SSD, then break the system down and install all of the new components? Since I couldn't find my old Win 7 Ultimate disc. I picked up a new Win 7 Pro disc if that makes a difference? Will I end up causing any problems with the OS in the rebuild when I install the new MOBO (new BIOS and all)?
    No, as the IDE system will have different hardware/drivers required. The install is almost guaranteed to bluescreen after you put the SSD in the new system because the storage drivers or access mode (IDE vs AHCI) won't match.

There's ISOs and ways to install Windows from an USB key, I've never done it before but a quick search on Google for "windows 7 usb install" has lots of tutorials.
    Otherwise, an internal SATA DVD drive can be had for $10-15 nowadays

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thread Information