Windows 10 Freezing Up After Resuming from Sleep/Hibernation
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows 10 Freezing Up After Resuming from Sleep/Hibernation

Windows 10 Freezing Up After Resuming from Sleep/Hibernation

Hi Folks,

I upgraded to Windows 10 the day it was available. No issues and all was well, however in the past month or so, when I resume from sleep (and hibernation, tried this as well), it intermittently locks-up.

The lock-up is only a few seconds at a time. The hard drive is still reading in most cases, however keyboard/mouse locked. I have to wait a few seconds, then it works again....it might do this a few more times and sometimes not. Sometimes, it resumes typical without these lock-ups. I haven't had the time to really analyze this (ie. determine what is different when it doesn't do this after resuming), and sometimes it's consistent to the point where I have to restart Windows. Restarting, or cold boot is fine and does not suffer this issue. This tells me it has to be something to do with power management/wake-up settings.....

I'm on the road a ton for work now and it's a huge pain as I'm constantly closing the lid on my laptop, then re-opening it, then closing, etc etc....I really rely on having the computer go to sleep.

Any thoughts here? I've had trouble googling this issue and finding people in a similar situation. I've also reset power management settings to default and it still persists.

Specs are:

Windows 10
    Asus S400C Ultrabook

Hoping someone out there has some ideas on things to try/check. Thanks!
    Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.25GHz | Asus K8V SE Deluxe | 1GB PC-3200 Kingston DDR | ATI Radeon X1600 256MB | 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA | 40GB Western Digital External | Sound Blaster 5.1 with
    Inspire 5300s | Pioneer 106s 16x DVD | LG 16x Super Multi DVD-Writer Dual | Intel Gigabit LAN | Enermax 300Watt | 20.1" Viewsonic LCD 1600x1200 | Windows XP Pro SP2

My 1987 Ford Ranger

You are not alone having those types of issues. Mine has to do with wifi-when I am on wifi, randomly, I get a blue screen. Computer resets and I am fine until the next time. This is apparently something that Microsoft knows about and "is working on." I had hoped that the last update-the one that came out this week-might solve it, but I am not sure yet. Having a Windows 10 specific driver would help, I am sure, but for those of us with older machines, that is not going to happen.

I have turned off hibernation altogether. On power management, I have unchecked the boxes allowing the machine to turn the devices off to save power-I want them to stay on. Keeping my wifi card from going to sleep has in fact helped some, as has staying on a wired connection whenever possible. I wonder if doing the same to your machine on its devices might give some relief.

For many people now, the ultimate answer for these types of problems is called Linux Mint. And for Win specific needs, Win 7 in a VM. With this version of Windows, MS is using the regular users as testers for the eventual stability of the OS when it gets taken up by enterprise.

These are the sort of problems that users once associated with linux.

Ironic you should mention Mint, DanceMan. I just reinstalled Mint 17.3 on my ancient old (2005 vintage) laptop. Everything loaded and ran fine, except for the wireless card. Apparently support for older Broadcom cards is a little sparse. However, with a little research I was able to get it recognized and running great.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    For many people now, the ultimate answer for these types of problems is called Linux Mint. And for Win specific needs, Win 7 in a VM. With this version of Windows, MS is using the regular users as testers for the eventual stability of the OS when it gets taken up by enterprise.

These are the sort of problems that users once associated with linux.
    Linux Mint +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k, 16gb DDR3-1600, Coolermaster ST case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 980ti, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Intel 750 pci-e x4 NVMe 800gB, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Dell P2715Q 27" Ultra HD 3840x2160 4K LED IPS Monitor, Windows10 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB m.2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs, LinuxMint 18.2 Cinnamon.

Thread Information