WTF is with Creative and 3DFX?!? Creative needs a kick in the pants...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: WTF is with Creative and 3DFX?!? Creative needs a kick in the pants...

WTF is with Creative and 3DFX?!? Creative needs a kick in the pants...

I've always been a fan of Creative, from their V2 line, to their live(Though I have an MX300). I have some Cambridge/Creative speakers and I am going to upgrade them. I really had my mind made up on the FPS 2000's but creative has just pissed me off too much. First the Unified drivers that allows TNT/TNT2 owners to run Glide games. First off, thats just unfair. 3DFX worked damn hard to make Glide powerful. Its their technology and Creative has no right to make it run on a non-3dfx based chipset. It doesn't effect me much since I have 2 V2's(Creative), and I can run Glide anytime I want. Now Creative just released new drivers for V2/Banshee that increases the texture limitation via spliting up textures.
    Thats fine, but do they have to patent the damn thing? Glide is Patented, yet they use it, the source code and some other things...
    I think that its just unfair and I thought that creative had a good rep, why the hell are they trying to ruin it?...to me anyways.
    I'm sure that the higher textures will seep into all V2's soon, and hopefully into V3. It really pisses me off w/ Microsoft vs. Netscape, this seems too similar. It wouldnt' surprise me if the drivers would work for other V2's except for 3DFX's new and own V2 1000's(I think they are Black Magics). I actually have both V2 1000's and Creatives, but I use the STB's because they 100MHz RAM vs the Creatives 90MHz... Anyways, this boys had it w/ Creative, one incident a month is bad enough, let alone two direct attacks on 3DFX...

----------
    Siren 1999
    ----------

I don't know what to say. This is a dog-eat-dog world. I'm not contradicting what you said. However, the way I see it, Creative as well as others have a moral obligation to serve the users of their cards as much as they can as long as it is not illegal. I don't think enabling TNT/TNT2 cards to run glide games will cause the demise of 3Dfx. Besides, we don't know what 3Dfx has up on their sleeves. Let's just hope for the best. The tide always turn the other way eventually.

3dfx stabbed all the OEM's in the back with the STB takeover, I dont blame Creative one bit, actually, I think its about time that somebody did it. 3dfx needs a good kick in the ***.

Can you prove that they used 3dfx source code? Right now its 3dfx's word against Creative, but I dont feel sorry for 3dfx at all. They sue everybody for anything they can when they get scared. Take a look at their law suit against nvidia. Its BS. As long as Creative didnt use 3dfx source code to make the Unified drivers, 3dfx has no legal ground to sue, and Creative or any other company has the right to make a GLide wrapper, as long as it doesnt break the 3dfx licencing agreement, which means no 3dfx source code.

Whats wrong with creative making and patenting drivers that allow larger textures? They want to give people that own their cards an edge, what is wrong with that? So what if 3dfx whines about it? 3dfx whines about everything, I used to be a big fan of theirs, but not anymore.

------------------
    Collin J
    Moderator: Support and General discussion.

Sometimes I wonder...

You have some valid points but we are the end users aren't we? What Creative is doing ultimately benefits us. Glide for my TNT? Support for larger textures? I think I'll take some of that.

I don't think it's an attack on 3dfx at all. Sure 3dfxs acquisition of STB and the proprietary V3 pissed people off but I don't see how attacking 3dfx would benefit the bottom line. The money isn't in revenge but in the marketing and selling their (Creatives) product line and Creative, like any company, is in it for the money.

I don't think they'll pull it off anyway. I haven't read the actual lawsuit but it doesn't sound very legal. It's good to see a company being innovative though. Maybe they could have released the product "black internet."

I guess my first argument w/ Creative using Glide in their unified drivers, is that it kind of reminds me of Bill Clinton, trying to get by w/ whatever he can, whenever he can. If Creative wins, 3DFX will lose one hell of a lot of ground because every TNT/TNT2/G400/ATI chipset will eventually be running Glide. To me, Glide is the only reason for buying a 3DFX Product(Speed is in all cards nowadays).

About the patenting, I think it is totally unfair. I think that the ability to run higher res textures is great, and should have been done a long time ago. To me the move for Creative to patent the higher supported textures is like this: Lets say I give a friend a product, like a Circular Saw that I made(ha). He wants to make lots and sell them. So I tell him how you made it for a small price. Both are happy, I have my cut out of every one made, and he makes even more selling them due to the upcharge. W/ the money I make from the Saw, I design a better, more powerful and durable saw. Seeing how much money he made w/ mine(Hes filty rich now), I decide to make my own. Hes mad at me now since I didn't want his competition. So he goes to my competiting competition. They dont have a certain feature that my old and new saw had, so he implements it himself. he claims he didn't use any of my technology, but its very apparent. Now, my competitor has everything I have, and since he's bigger, he can sell for $15 a unit less,and I go out of biusness. Oh well, maybe his greed will destroy him someday...ooooooohh. I've thought about the splitting up[ of textures, but I wonder why 3DFX never implemented it themselves. I'm sure that creative wont lose much even if they lose in the court hose, they most surly have NVidia patting them opn the back, and backing thej up. Sorry for all the typos, but something is mess(not my head dummy...really i assure you)

Thread Information