Horns or Silk Tweeters
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Horns or Silk Tweeters

Horns or Silk Tweeters

I went all PolK Audio last year when I re did my HT system.

Polk TSi-300 towers with matching series center and surrounds.
    Polk -PSW 100 sub I think it is, 200watts front facing
    Klipsch- 450w Sub, down firing.
    Yamaha RX-473 Receiver

Thing is I loved the Klipsch, but the horns were just too much in there sound room for my taste even after trying to eq them down. My LR is much bigger than the test room so I've always second guessed my decision. This thing sounds great and shakes the house. TV volume about-28db, TV Movie -22db, BluRay -10db.

Whats your take

Haven't heard Klipsch speakers yet but I personally dislike bright/harsh highs in general (I usually turn down the treble on most systems I have so I can crank the sound higher without fatigue). I listen mostly to metal and after saying that, a few audio people tried to steer me towards Klipsch with horns so I would still be interested in hearing them.

Right now I have Paradigm Studio 20 v2 with aluminum tweeters (lended to me) and I find them fatiguing to listen, so I would tend towards silk tweeters for my next speakers but that's just me. My living room is also on the smallish side with hard floors/walls and no carpets so it has an influence as well.

I'm shopping for floorstanders now and the hassle of finding listening rooms for them or restrictive return policies makes it rather hard to shop. The thing is you almost have to try them with your own amp at the store (which very few places let you do), or best yet try them in your own room (almost none outside audiophile stores).

Since you are in the US, Crutchfield has a decent selection and free shipping + great return policy from what I've heard so they are on my short list if I buy online. They could probably let you try the Klipsch and send them back if you prefer your Polks.

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Well Polk and Klipsch have both change there product lines, and I don't like either now. Glad I bought when I did. A guy that used to play base in our band 20yrs ago had a Hartke cabinet that had aluminum cone speakers. Never liked the sound unless he was doing some Stu Ham slapping on it.

Thread Information