You bought a #$%*** Chromebook?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: You bought a #$%*** Chromebook?

You bought a #$%*** Chromebook?

I did, a refurb from NE, for one specific purpose. I've been taking old Thinkpads to work, originally compact X-31's, but after killing two of those, much heavier T-40 or T-41's. All have been old enough to need to be used on AC. I'll still use one when I need to do crew bill estimates on Excel as crew chief, but the Chromebook will be just for browsing. The advantages: light weight, right size 11.6" screen, instant boot, and long battery life. Its an Acer C710 2856. I'll need to make a hard physical protector for it in my overstuffed backpack.

A cursory search for browser extensions or utilities turned up virtually nothing but Adblock, a Flash blocker, a system info utility, and the OS restore. I'm guessing part of this is newness and small market share, but more might be that the technically proficient aren't interested in such a kneecapped device (unless you can install Debian.)

Anyone have any experience, thoughts or suggestions?

Due to the fact it isn't an open source OS, I don't think there will be much volunteer development for it.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Like Android, Chrome OS is apparently based on linux, and I assume that like Android, parts of it are closed source. I read that this Acer has a second ram slot. so it could get a memory boost, and perhaps a bigger SSD. Out of the box this chromebook is using 1.7G of its 2G ram. If it survives I might eventually put a lightweigt linux on it, but for now I'm going to use it as is and learn. It may even be useful at home as an instant boot device for a quick internet check -- what I assume most people use a tablet for.

Thread Information