Alleged bait-and-switch tactics spur Kingston, PNY SSD boycott
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Alleged bait-and-switch tactics spur Kingston, PNY SSD boycott

Hybrid View

Exclamation Alleged bait-and-switch tactics spur Kingston, PNY SSD boycott

We take a closer look at the controversy

When shopping online, what you see isn't always what you get. That seems to hold especially true for budget solid-state drives. Over the past week or so, we've seen an uproar over what some folks perceive as bait-and-switch tactics by SSD vendors Kingston and PNY. That uproar has led to a boycott organized by Reddit's /r/buildapc subreddit. The folks leading the boycott are vowing not to purchase or recommend Kingston or PNY products "until an apology or admission of guilt is made by either company."

So, what's the story here?

Full story available at The Tech Report,
    Click HERE
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Pass me the popcorn!
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

After reading the linked article, it appears that the PNY with a different controller is a match for the original. However the Kingston with slower ram is not a match. Other products, such as the ubiquitous Linksys WRT-54G routers handled this by at least providing version numbers which identified models with less ram and different software. Kingston should at the least be doing the same to delineate models with such a significant change.

Thread Information