External HDs chkdsk speeds
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: External HDs chkdsk speeds

External HDs chkdsk speeds

I have two 500 GB external mobile HDs. Doing a chkdsk D: /f /r on them is quite a difference in speed. One takes over an hour and a half and the other takes about 10 minutes or less. How can they be that difference in speed if doing the same program and the same size HD? Both the same type of drive, both USB external. The faster one is a Hitachi HTS545050A7E380 and the slower one says in the Device Manager: Kaira External USB3.

The Kaira's specs says this: The Calmee Zeus use the MKxx59GSXP Toshiba who supports the demand for high capacity extremely compact mobile storage. The 2.5-inch HDD is the world’s first drive capable of delivering up to 500GB of storage capacity in a two-platter design.

Does it have something to do with the USB3? I just did the Hitachi again in the command prompt and again about 10 minutes. This doesn't seem right. 10 minutes?

They claim to be 5400 RPM.
    Last edited by jonny b; July 3rd, 2014 at 12:06 AM.
    Thanks
    JB

Willing to bet the slower is connecting at a slower usb protocol, perhaps usb2 vs. usb3 for the faster. I doubt it has anything to do with the drives themselves inside the enclosures.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    Willing to bet the slower is connecting at a slower usb protocol, perhaps usb2 vs. usb3 for the faster. I doubt it has anything to do with the drives themselves inside the enclosures.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

That is what I was think about the USB3. Would USB3 be this much faster than USB 1 or 2? That is quite a difference.
    Thanks
    JB

I don't have a computer running at usb3, but there is a huge difference between usb 1 (actually 1.1) and usb 2.

That is what I think the device was is USB 3. I don't know what my tower has though.
    Thanks
    JB

Thread Information