running very low on diskspace on local disk
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: running very low on diskspace on local disk

Question running very low on diskspace on local disk

I'm still running windows XP. Now I encountert a problem with my disk space. I removed already many files and i got same space back. Now 3 days later the same problem again. Even I try to unistall same programs it is not possible. I deleted a lot of e-mails, bot nothing changed. I don't no anymore what to do, maybe i have to buy i new computer.

Help me please
    me

What is the size of your current hard drive, and how full is it? Have you run programs like Ccleaner to get rid of all of your temp files and to clear your internet cache? They can take up some room.

If nothing else, it may be time to get a bigger hard drive.

If you're on XP, you should consider getting a newer system. XP is no longer being updated and supported.

How big is your drive and how much space is left?

Did you run any cleaner tools like CCleaner or TFC? Both are free.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/

And at the risk of stating the obvious, don't forget to empty your recycle bin. I've had issues with external usb drives that give a "not enough space" message after I've deleted files, until I've emptied the recycle bin on the drive to get rid of them permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    If you're on XP, you should consider getting a newer system. XP is no longer being updated and supported.

Did you run any cleaner tools like CCleaner or TFC? Both are free.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    And at the risk of stating the obvious, don't forget to empty your recycle bin. I've had issues with external usb drives that give a "not enough space" message after I've deleted files, until I've emptied the recycle bin on the drive to get rid of them permanently.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

I did all of this things, running cc cleaner etc. 3 days ago after I cleant up everything I hat some room and now is full again. Something is wrong and I don't no where. No i can't open my default e-mail folder. I get message "server is not available".
    In my Kaspersky Internet Security I get message "protection components: malfunction" Recommend reinstall, unknown error.
    me

You still didn't say how big your drive is.

Do you use hibernation? If not, you can get rid of the hiberfil.sys file.

How much ram does your system have? How big is your pagefile?

Did you check the option in CCleaner to remove hotfix uninstallers?

Of course, you should make a backup of your system before you start messing with system files.

It sounds like you have problems other than disk space. If Kaspersky says to reinstall, try that.

ok, my Disk Space = 186 GB, Free space 0
    file System = NTFS
    I don't found any hiberfil.sys files
    Computer. Intel (R)
    Pentium (R) 4CPU 3.00 GHZ
    3.00 GHZ, 1.00 GB of Ram
    i try to remove programs with CCleaner, what is the hotfix uninstaller?
    I found Drive Wiper on CCleaner, I got message again there is not enough space on the disk
    me

There should be a box to check under the Windows Disk Cleanup utility (right click on the icon for your C drive, go to Properties/Disk Cleanup for Windows Update cleanup. Those update backups can take up a lot of room.

186GB full? I'm guessing you have your OS and DATA on the same drive. WinXP doesn't use that much space.

You should try something like TreeSize free to see what is using up the disk space.
    http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Hotfixes aka Windows updates:
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-r...rd-disk-space/
    In CCleaner, go to Advanced and check the Hotfix Uninstallers box.

Do you have hibernation enabled or not? Check power management.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...wer-management

Drive Wiper is to clear the FREE SPACE. That will not help you in this situation.

hibernation is not enabled.
    CCleaner, in Adcanced there is no hotfixuninstaller
    I can't download anything, there is not enough space!

but I iust regonized when I went on this website there is this little messages in the left corner, and it gos very fast like:
    transfering data from www.pupads or pagead2 or apis etc. is this normal
    me

but I iust regonized when I went on this website there is this little messages in the left corner, and it gos very fast like:
    transfering data from www.pupads or pagead2 or apis etc. is this normal
    It sounds like you might have a virus or malware. When was the last time you scanned your drive? What AV and antimalware are you running?

Is there any data you can temporarily move off to an external drive? We can't do much if you can't run the tools we tell you to use.

Hi, I'm back again, sorry I was away. I removed same data to on external drive. I will rtestard my computer now, and i will see what message Iwill get.
    me

Question running low on diskspace

i removed same files to my e-drive. I update kaspersky, after update I get message again, about running out of disk space. At least Kaspersky is update. I run a full scan nothing detected. I try update Malwarebytes, again the same running very low on disk space so I'm not able to update. I let run without update and he found one Tread i removed. How I can find out what is going on.
    Thanks for any help
    me

Thread Information