TrueCrypt End of Life ?!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TrueCrypt End of Life ?!

Hybrid View

TrueCrypt End of Life ?!

Schneier on Security > TrueCrypt WTF
    I have no idea what's going on with TrueCrypt. There's a good summary of the story at ArsTechnica, and Slashdot, Hacker News, and Reddit all have long comment threads. See also Brian Krebs and Cory Doctorow.

Speculations include a massive hack of the TrueCrypt developers, some Lavabit-like forced shutdown, and an internal power struggle within TrueCrypt. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what develops.

Tags: encryption, TrueCrypt
    Posted on May 29, 2014 at 8:02 AM 42 Comments
    --

Over on Krebs they're saying:
    The anonymous developers responsible for building and maintaining the free whole-disk encryption suite TrueCrypt apparently threw in the towel this week, shuttering the TrueCrypt site and warning users that the product is no longer secure now that Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP.
    ?
    Last edited by SpywareDr; May 29th, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

It's all speculation so far...

That being said, last night installed my old version of TC, copied everything over, uninstalled TC.

Interesting read: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...-of-the-above/
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Yes it is. Hang on to your older version of TC.

Another interesting read: The Register > TrueCrypt turmoil latest: Bruce Schneier reveals what he'll use instead
    One intriguing possibility and one that's it's very difficult to either prove or disprove is that this is a warrant canary triggered by pressure on TrueCrypt's developers by the feds to backdoor the software which is favoured by the likes of Edward Snowden and his journo pals. Effectively, it would be a signal to the world that something is not right, without breaching any gagging order that may also be in place.

It could even be in response to a threat to unmask the development team.

"Somebody was about to de-anonymize the Truecrypt developers, and this is their response," suggested Prof Green.

Veteran security world watcher Graham Cluley said: "Whether hoax, hack or genuine end-of-life for TrueCrypt, its clear that no security-conscious users are going to feel comfortable trusting the software after this debacle. Its time to start looking for an alternative way to encrypt your files and hard drive."

The outlook for those who rely on TrueCrypt to encrypt their drives and/or files just became overcast with doubt.

Johannes Ullrich of the SANS Technology Institute recommended FileVault and LUKS, for Mac OS X and Linux users, respectively, as potential alternatives. "Sadly, these are not compatible with each other. You will need to find a replacement for portable media that need to move between operating systems. PGP/GnuPG comes to mind as an option," he advised.

An earlier list of alternatives to TrueCrypt put together by security expert The Grugq can be found here.
    Doc

\_______/

+1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Doc

\_______/

Intriguing is the first sentence on truecrypt.sourceforge.net. What we have there:

Using TrueCrypt is not secure as...

lol

Thread Information