Toshiba Satellite A135 S2276 - XP Drivers!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Toshiba Satellite A135 S2276 - XP Drivers!

Question Toshiba Satellite A135 S2276 - XP Drivers!

Hello folks,
    A long time ago I won this notebook. It's a good machine, despite being outdated. This notebook came with Vista and the ex-boyfriend of my sister put the XP in it. He told me the difficulty to put XP in order in this Toshiba notebook. Unfortunately my computer catches a virus and I had to reinstall the XP again. But now I can't find the drivers and a lot of links on the internet are broken. Someone can help me in this quest?
    Thank you,
    Senhordelico

You might want to go into Device Manager and give us a list of what drivers you don't have. I went to the Toshiba site, and I think your machine has an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M chipset, an ATI Mobility Radeon X200M graphics card and an Artheros 802.11b/g wireless card, if that is any help. If those are some of the drivers you are missing, you will want to go to those manufacturer's web sites to see what you can find.

Sometimes, 32 bit Vista drivers may also work for XP, and the Toshiba site had some of those-have you tried those?

You do realize that XP is no longer supported with security updates by Microsoft?

Windows 7 is a much better choice both for security and for containing all needed drivers within the basic install. If you don't need to run Windows specific programs and can get by with alternatives, you could install Linux Mint. If you're not sure, burn a cd with a live disc of Linux Mint and try the OS off the cd to see how it works for you.

If you're determined to run XP, run a hardware ID utility (the Ultimate Boot CD has them) to identify the hardware and search for drivers by the individual components. Drivers were made by component manufacturers, not Toshiba. This would only leave you short of a few utilities for things like screen brightness.

This forum had threads years ago on XP drivers for Toshiba laptops with view totals never before seen, but two searches each of 15 pages failed to turn them up. Almost everything that came up was for sound cards, primarily for SoundBlaster.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    You might want to go into Device Manager and give us a list of what drivers you don't have. I went to the Toshiba site, and I think your machine has an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M chipset, an ATI Mobility Radeon X200M graphics card and an Artheros 802.11b/g wireless card, if that is any help. If those are some of the drivers you are missing, you will want to go to those manufacturer's web sites to see what you can find.

Sometimes, 32 bit Vista drivers may also work for XP, and the Toshiba site had some of those-have you tried those?
    In the Toshiba site, there is only drivers for Vista and 7
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...eeText=1596141
    I try to install the ATI Randeon Xpress 200M before, this one, but doesn't work:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...?DwnldID=10469
    And also a tried to install Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet, but inside the rar, there is no executable

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    You do realize that XP is no longer supported with security updates by Microsoft?

Windows 7 is a much better choice both for security and for containing all needed drivers within the basic install. If you don't need to run Windows specific programs and can get by with alternatives, you could install Linux Mint. If you're not sure, burn a cd with a live disc of Linux Mint and try the OS off the cd to see how it works for you.

If you're determined to run XP, run a hardware ID utility (the Ultimate Boot CD has them) to identify the hardware and search for drivers by the individual components. Drivers were made by component manufacturers, not Toshiba. This would only leave you short of a few utilities for things like screen brightness.

This forum had threads years ago on XP drivers for Toshiba laptops with view totals never before seen, but two searches each of 15 pages failed to turn them up. Almost everything that came up was for sound cards, primarily for SoundBlaster.
    Yes, I know about the XP supported. For me, despite the security updates, XP, Vista and 7 are very similar. But XP is don't demand too much space and this computer is too old, not very fast for 7. And about Linux, I thought that before, but unfortunately I use some incompatible programs for this software!

Maybe It's good to try Vista again? My notebook has 1GB RAM, but now I put 2GB... What do you think?

Windows Vista End of support: April 11, 2017
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If you go with Vista there are mods that address some of the issues that made users dislike it. Googling will find them. I've used Win 7 Enterprise on old Thinkpad Pentium M (Centrino) 1.3G laptops with 1G to 2G of ram, and they run fine on it for basic tasks. 7 Enterprise seems to be a more basic version that doesn't overwhelm machines with limited specs.
    Last edited by DanceMan; December 6th, 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Thread Information