Installing Windows 7 on Dell Optiplex 760L (Display not showing correctly)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Installing Windows 7 on Dell Optiplex 760L (Display not showing correctly)

Installing Windows 7 on Dell Optiplex 760L (Display not showing correctly)

I just installed Windows 7 on a Dell Optiplex 760L and the display is not shown correctly.

Windows 7 automatically installed "Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Display" and the only resolution available is 640x480.

I went to the Dell website and noticed that there were no drivers for Windows 7 for this computer.

Do you guys/girls have any suggestions on what I can do so that display is shown correctly on this dell computer with Windows 7? Really appreciate your help.

I went to the Dell website and noticed that there were no drivers for Windows 7 for this computer.
    That's something you should do BEFORE you install Win7.

If Dell doesn't have the drivers, look for the video chipset's manufacturer site. The 760L has several different configurations.

You can use this to determine which video chipset you have:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

I installed both CPUID CPU-Z and GPU-Z and both have "Standard VGA Graphic Adapter" for the the video card. CPUID CPU-Z did have 0x1028(0x0161) for the Board Manufacture.

Is there any other way to check the kind of video card I have and to see if I can updated the drivers for Windows 7?

Thanks

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...t/optiplex-760

Where did you look? That link says it has Win7 drivers.

Do you have an addon video card or not? I'll guess no.
    Try this one first: Intel GMA HD Graphics 4500/4500M Driver

Just for giggles, try pushing that "analyse system for updates" button (although I think it might use Java *shudder*)
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

I input the service tag number from the computer and it's actually an Optiplex 160L instead of a 760L. From what I see it only supports Windows XP (I attached the link). But it gave me the following list of video drivers: Intel 845 G/GL Integrated Video, Springdale G Integrated Video, Intel Grantsdale G Integrated Video, v.6.14.10.3762, A00

video drivers.jpg

Attached dell.jpg

it's actually an Optiplex 160L instead of a 760L.
    That's a BIG difference.

Take a look at this forum:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/1...drivers-4.html

Thanks,

When I click on the link for the forum provided, that forum provides another link for drivers downloads, which takes me to a download of: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (exe)

Should I install that file, or do I need to look for my specific driver?

Thanks

Intel 845 G/GL Integrated Video
    That would be the driver. You have an Intel 845 chipset. Read through the full thread if you want more details. I usually go to the end first for the solution.

I downloaded the file in the forum, and followed the directions and I get the following error message: "This Operating System is not supported, Setup will exist, OK"

Everything made sense in the directions provided but was a little confused with the following:
    "After installing it go to the folder where it is located and right click then properties then compatibility then make sure you click the box to run as administrator then click change for all users........" I am assuming that they meant "After downloading it go to the folder..."

Noticed that that threat was for Windows 7 Pro 64bit, but mine is 32 bit. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Should not be an issue since there are no 64-bit drivers listed for chipset in question.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information