Clone or Image
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Clone or Image

Clone or Image

I think my C drive may be ready to fail. It is a 500 gb. I purchased a 1 tb drive to replace it. I have created a system image of the current C drive. Can I restore the system image on the new 1 tb drive and then expand the drive or do I have to use a cloning program before the drive fails.

Thanks.

Can I restore the system image on the new 1 tb drive and then expand the drive or do I have to use a cloning program before the drive fails.
    You didn't say what imaging app you used. Some apps have the option to expand. Otherwise, you can expand the partition after you do the restore.

I think my C drive may be ready to fail.
    Why do you say that? Did you run diagnostics?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You didn't say what imaging app you used. Some apps have the option to expand. Otherwise, you can expand the partition after you do the restore.

Why do you say that? Did you run diagnostics?
    The drive is over 3 years old and is now making clicking noises it has not made before. No problem with data access. I'm just preparing in case it does fail.

I plan on using the image made through Win 7.

Ah. I don't think there is an option to resize the partition during restore.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-recovery.html

You'll have to extend the C: partition after restore.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Thanks for the information.

Best method for diagnosing a hard drive: Download the Ultimate Boot CD and burn to a disc or a usb stick (bootable.) Boot the computer to this and you'll have all the manufacturer hdd test utilities.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    Best method for diagnosing a hard drive: Download the Ultimate Boot CD and burn to a disc or a usb stick (bootable.) Boot the computer to this and you'll have all the manufacturer hdd test utilities.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Huge View Post

+1
    Ditto.

Note: If you aren't sure who made the hard drive in your computer, Seagate's Seatools will work with most any make of drive.

The following instructions may prove helpful for burning the UBCD .iso file to disc: How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

I finally got my geezer rear end up and snooping around and the dreaded clicking noises are coming from my external WD 250 gig drive. I never pay any attention to it as I only use it to store downloaded programs and photos. I have the Cooler Master Cosmos case for my computer, as I wanted something big that would make it easy for me to do the install when I built the computer.

The external drive is to the side and back of the case...out of sight out of mind.

I got a 1 tb external from Newegg to replace it when it finally fails.

Sorry for the trouble.

No trouble. Good to hear it wasn't your C: drive.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

I didn't want to aggravate anyone as I came here for help when I was building the computer. (The external drive was left over from my last computer).

After 3 1/2 years, still with no problems with the equipment they suggested, it shows I was given very good information

Thread Information