Mozilla anger over Dell Firefox fee
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Mozilla anger over Dell Firefox fee

Mozilla anger over Dell Firefox fee

Mozilla is investigating reports that Dell is charging users with new computers to install the Firefox browser.

One user told the Register website that he had been asked to pay 16.25 to have the browser installed.

Firefox is a free, open-source piece of software that can be installed by anyone in about 10 minutes.

Mozilla said there was "no agreement" with Dell that would allow it to charge for installing Firefox...

Full story available at BBC,
    Click HERE
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Why do you think Dell should do it for free? The margin of profit on a computer is very low, so if you want something extra, do it yourself or pay a consultant fee to have somebody do it for you.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

"In this particular situation, the customer would not be charged for the Mozilla Firefox software download, rather the fee would cover the time and labour involved for factory personnel to load a different image than is provided on the system's standard configuration."
    That pretty much sums it up.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

"Our trademark policy makes clear that this is not permitted and we are investigating this specific report," said Denelle Dixon-Thayer, vice-president of Mozilla's general counsel.

In Mozilla's policy document on that, it clearly states: "If you are using the Mozilla Mark(s) for the unaltered binaries you are distributing, you may not charge for that product.

"By not charging, we mean the Mozilla product must be without cost and its distribution (whether by download or other media) may not be subject to a fee, or tied to subscribing to or purchasing a service, or the collection of personal information."
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

So in other Words - since Dell didn't violate any of that - they were within their rights for charging for the labor.

Odds are real good that if the Dell user needed a hard drive replacement - it too would come with FF already installed.

I know that every time I drive across town to install FF I get paid and everyone is happy. Course I've never actually done it...but it a relevant thought anyway.

Charging for installation of any software would be reasonable and to be expected but if there were any promo involved and not something brought up specifically by the client... e.g. Listing anywhere as an option at Dell specifically stating Firefox.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    That pretty much sums it up.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Ditto.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Thread Information