Abit NF7 Motherboard with AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU (Ambulance Sound when I turn on)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Abit NF7 Motherboard with AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU (Ambulance Sound when I turn on)

Hybrid View

Abit NF7 Motherboard with AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU (Ambulance Sound when I turn on)

I have this Computer that contains an Abit NF7 Motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU. The computer was working fine, but I removed the power chord and when I tried turning it back on, the bios were not saved. This has happened in the pass because I believe the CMOS battery is not working. In the pass, I just changed the bios settings and everything worked fine.

Well, this time around when I tried changing the CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio to 5/6 to get 400 MHz, it was giving me 240 MHz.

When I tried turning back the computer, it gives me a sound similar to that of an "ambulance", then it turns off. I removed the cpu fan and it looks like the attached picture. Not sure if this is the problem, but it had been working fine for awhile.

Appreciate, if you guys/girls can give me some advice on what might be wrong.

Thanks
    1.jpg2.jpg

Whenever the heatsink is removed from a CPU, new thermal grease needs to be applied.

Instructions
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Have you tried measuring the CMOS battery voltage to see if it's still good ?
    I had a motherboard from a similar era starting to have problems at POST (forgotten CMOS settings, failed overclock messages, bad checksums).
    It got worse when I unplugged it as it leans on that battery when the power is cut.
    Changing the battery solved the problem.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

The most common CMOS battery on Desktop PC motherboards is a "CR2032". They usually run a couple of bucks or so at almost anywhere that sells batteries. I've seen them at CVS, Home Depot, K-Mart, Lowe's, Office Depot, Office Max, Radio Shack, Rite-Aid, Sears, Target, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, and so on.
    Doc

\_______/

No CMOS battery = No CMOS/BIOS settings saved. No if's but's or why's... It worked partially in the past because CMOS battery was not completely dead. As others already hinted, if intent on using mobo, try with a verified working CMOS battery.
    With that stated,
    Check the mobo for bad caps. That mobo was manufactured during the time period of Capacitor plague.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks for your help, got the computer working. Checked the capacitors and they all looked in good shape. Checked the battery and it was not working. Replaced the battery and put the thermal paste and the computer is back on. THANKS.

Excellent news! Thanks for letting us know.
    Doc

\_______/

Awesome!
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Thread Information