windows will not assign drive letter to USB device
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: windows will not assign drive letter to USB device

Hybrid View

windows will not assign drive letter to USB device

I have a PATA hard disk (WD 3200) that is not installed in a computer. I bought a SABRENT converter that powers the drive, reads it, and outputs to a USB2 connector. When I connect the USB cable to either my Windows 7 or Windows 8 computers, there is no drive letter assigned and I cannot find a way to read the drive. I can use the "eject" feature of Windows to see that the drive is connected. When I connect the USB cable to my Linux (Mint) computer, it recognizes the drive and allows me to open it and manipulate the contents (there are three partitions).

Is there any way to make either of the Windows versions assign a drive letter to my drive? Any ideas as to why this only works with Linux? The drive is formatted with NTSF.

START-> Run and type-> diskmgmt.msc

What is the status of the drive? Or is it even seen?
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

When I start diskmgmt.msc, Win8 shows the disk and its three partitions. When I right-click on any partition in it, the options are grayed out, leaving only "delete" as an option. When I do this with the directly installed disks, I can open any partition by right-clicking and selecting "open." When I open a file browser, there is no letter displayed.

What about in Linux? What does the partition manager say there? Are you sure it is NTFS?

Midknyte - Thanks. You got it. I hooked the drive up to the Linux machine again and found that the partitions are marked ext3/ext4. I suppose I need to either reserve the drive for my Linux computer, or reformat it to NTFS.

I suppose this thread can be marked as resolved. Thanks again.

Thread Information