CAt 6 and IPv6
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CAt 6 and IPv6

CAt 6 and IPv6

I have a few questions. Does anyone know what are the pro's and cons to CAT6 cable. Also, does anyone know anything about the addressing schemes involved with IPv6. What I mean by that is do the addresses look the same as the current IP addresses? What about the subnet. This is just for my own curiosity, I have not been able to find a site that has this info on it yet.
    MCP,A+,N+

CAT6 is not certified yet, so everything you hear about it is just some sort of company propaganda, it sure is a better cable than CAT5e, but as i said, it isn't certified yet and i suggest you to wait if you're going to make a "certified" network.

I don't know much about the upcoming IPv6, but i think it will be compatible with the current version.
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

IPv6 will be a 128 bit address as opposed to 32 bit addresses IPv4 uses. And they will be Hexidecimal in nature...there are quite a few sites out there to look into IPv6. And by the way the only way they will be compatible with eachother is by the machine they run on, runing both versions at the same time which is possible. But the protocols by themselves are NOT compatible.
    CNA(Novell), CCNA(Cisco)
    -----
    AMD Palomino 1800XP+
    ABit KR7A
    512 PC2100 DDRAM
    16X DVDROM
    16X10X40TDK CDRW
    120 GB ULTRA/ATA 133 HD Maxtor
    Nvidia GeForceFX 5200 128M DH
    Netgear FE CARD
    SBLive!
    (2)19" Monitors
    WinXP Pro

I recommend cat6 or cat6e if you want up to 10 gigabit speeds but ipv6 should work on cat5e and cat6 and cat6e plus make sure you have the correct switches if you want gigabit or 10 gigabit speeds and try not to have really long cables every 50 metres of cable it maybe a good idea to have a switch to boost the power and signal if you get to 100 metres you will notice a slight decrease in speed, i am not an expert but this is what i believe to work the best also if you can afford 10 gigabit switches it will cost anything from 1.5,000 - £5,000 just for one 10 gigabit switch so it depends if your doing web hosting or anything like that, but for big files transfers gigabit should be ok but that’s only because there is no 10 gigabit network cards that go in computers that i have found yet for commercial use, so the 10 gigabit switches are good for connecting to other switches or two different networks.

So for 10/100 use cat5 or cat5e

For 10/100/1000 (gigabit) use cat6 or cat6e

And for 10 GB speeds use cat6e or cat7 (maybe)!
    Last edited by jamied_uk; January 22nd, 2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Whew! Take a big breath, and here's some periods....................

CAT6 just isn't qualified still, consequently whatever you listen to over it is simply some sort of firm propaganda, the idea certain can be a better cable than CAT5e, nevertheless as i stated, it isn't really qualified still and also it is advisable to to have to wait if you are going to produce a certified multilevel.

For more information in regards with IPv6, cat6 cabling services by telesystemscorp just visit the web. Hope it will be great for your query.

The Cat 6 standard was first released in 2002 as part of the Telecommunications Industry Associationís TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1 document specification.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Thread Information