Which Windows?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which Windows?

Hybrid View

Which Windows?

Hi people, long time, no post

I think my C drive is failing . So I'm getting ready to replace it. With that said, I'm still running XP sp3 and I see support for it is ending. The question is what version of windows do I want? Win 7 or 8? I've read/heard that there's still a lot of issues with version 8. But am I wasting money on 7? Don't pay a lot of attention to my PC specs below, much has change.

Thanks everyone
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

Tuff call. Kind of depends on if your a cutting edge king of guy

Should start with letting MS scan your pc for Compatibility:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...patCenter/Home
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Well, I run that app you linked and got the BSOD 3 times. Seems I can surf the web ok but anything that put a little stress on my comp. crashes it. So, I think I'll go with win 7 and a new Hard drive. I run the similar win 7 app a year or so ago and all was good. Now, if I can keep this drive alive to transfer its data to a new one

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

Quote Originally Posted by Shervie2
    ... But am I wasting money on 7? ...
    No need to be concerned. Windows 7 is supported until January 14, 2020.
    And unless there are some major changes, Windows 8 is looking like another Windows Vista.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thank you. Just what I wanted to hear.
    Now,when I get this new HD and windows, I was going to partition it so I can format it if I have issues down the road without losing everything else, ie email games etc. I dont know anything about this. Do I did with windows or a different software. I'm eyeballing a 1 TB drive. How big of partition for c drive? Thanks again

... I was going to partition it so I can format it if I have issues down the road without losing everything else,...
    Excellent precaution.

... Do I did with windows or a different software...
    Option to create/customize partition size(s) is available during the Windows 7 installation process. With that said, there are free third party partitioning utilities available as well. e.g. EaseUS Partition Master Free. It goes without saying, pay attention when using such software since clicking on the wrong partition/disk can really make your life miserable.

... How big of partition for c drive? ...
    Since only you know how many software that will be added to the primary partition, a safe amount would be 100 GB. You can resize the partition at a later date with partitioning software, if required/desired.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Such a big help, ty Shinma. I'm planing on just windows and hardware drivers, video and motherboard drivers, I don't use need of things. Most of my problems over the years have been hardware or windows. So I figure I can wipe out c drive, reload and it should find my others drive(s), right? Thanks again everyone

To avoid any headaches, suggest that you disconnect all the HDD except the one for the new Windows 7 installation.
    After Windows 7 installation, you can re-connect the others.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information