My sound output has gone - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My sound output has gone

Won't let me do this, though I have the disks, I have put Windows 7 on it and to unmesh the two drives had to sort the RAID out - as I recall even before that it wouldn't let me so I did the RAID to get it to reformat originally.

Windows 7 is now on and lots of people ask this question (I have a Dell Dimension 9150) so its pretty old now (2006).

I take it a reformat on its own will not do? As a factory reset is that and reset. (Just if I cannot do one that is).

Any thoughts?

You don't need "disks" (or anything else) to reset the CMOS/BIOS Setup to the factory defaults. Simply remove the CMOS battery for say 10 minutes and then put it back in.

(Recommend taking pictures of your current CMOS/BIOS Settings before doing so though).

--edit--

On some old Dells you had to move a CMOS jumper over pins 2-3, power up, press [Enter], power down and move the jumper back over pins 1-2.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; January 9th, 2014 at 11:04 AM.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Okay, literally 24 hours to the minute and I'm back on.

Long story short, the battery did seem to reset everything back to April 2006 and i had to load up Windows, Security, sound and updates at the minimum. An appointment and coming back home - needing to contact MS who had to create a passcode for my OS (I did explain why) and installing more things and then trying the sound, it seems to be back on finally!!!

The removing of the battery caused me some headaches initially and then trying to reinstall the OS but so far so good, so thanks a lot.

BUT... just before I sign off, as I believe I stated earlier I had installed Nuance Dragon Speech recognition software about 2 weeks earlier. This was a three stage install with their own update - long if not with some difficulties.

This is the one I bought...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Natur...ords=dragon+12

My old 2006 seemed to handle it okay as I have 4GB of RAM (even if 3.25 may only be available)

What would you suggest with this? I would like to install it, but not if its going to knock my sound off again! Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks again SpywareDr for the information along the way and fix in the end

Good to know (even if I only come on here every couple of years with an issue really) there are people like you to help. (I know, I have been there and done that in other fields). So on behalf of any others that may not have said it, thanks a lot for all your help.

Great to hear it's back up and working.

1) What I'd do next is create an image backup, then install Nuance Dragon Speech and test.

2) If the sound isn't working (again), simply restore your image and you're back in business.

3) Now call Nuance Dragon Speech Tech Support to see if they might have a suggestion or solution.
    Doc

\_______/

Thank for the backup advice. Had already thought about looking up any other known issues with Nuance or forums - so this topic should be done.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.
    Doc

\_______/

Thread Information