My sound output has gone
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My sound output has gone

My sound output has gone

Hello,

I have a Dell 9150 desktop PC from 2006. All sounds from the speaker have completely cut out.

This PC has been upgraded to Windows 7 which knocked out the original onboard sound and so a sound card, an Asus xonar D1 was put in December 2010.

Now, today, there is no output, over the past week, sound has been going one minute and then back again and one speaker at one time was only working till i took a look and then it came back. I have tried a second set of USB speakers, and headphones today and still nothing.

I can see the volume in the taskbar moving, as well as settings in sound in the Control Panel or green and moving. So I can see sound files are playing I just can't hear them.

I have tried looking online for answers but people are not specific or they are related to other sound issues.

The only two things I have done new and noticed recently are:

1. I have bought Dragon 12 speech software. Have installed and using it for the last two weeks. I am actually dictating all of this using it so I know sound input is working.

2. Sound stopped working in one speaker on one day during the last week, or stop working at all until I rebooted which may have come back or sometimes would leave overnight come back and it would be working again the next day. So there may be some sort of underlying issue. However its now off.

There are no yellow warning symbols in device manager for sound. No other warning symbols or issues I can detect. I have done a couple of system restores and still nothing, sound is going in just not not heard coming out. I have even tried to reinstall the sound drivers and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading.

Well, still having no luck. Am thinking of reformatting. This is a last ditch step and of course may not even work.

You might want to try Fred Langa's "Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall" first.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Thanks, looked promising and have tried it but it says my version of Windows is now too much newer than the copy I am trying to install so it won't let me :-( very disappointing. I'm looking into removing service pack 1 and then giving it a try...
    Last edited by Mark-FON; January 4th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.

The instructions for removing Service Pack 1 (SP1) are on that page under the heading "Avoiding problems with Win7 Service Pack 1". (It's easy).
    Doc

\_______/

Lol I was already uninstalling and saw this message - so will try again once its done. Thanks

Okay, done that all now - took 4 hours. Looks the same and sound off.

Can see the sound moving and can't hear it like before, Device Manager is all clear.

Sound card gone perhaps?

Any other ideas?

I'm thinking of just getting a simple sound card for testing, like a USB one so i have something and can test it like this from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB2-0-Exter...usb+card+sound

I am a gamer and do surveys and lots of other things so sound is very important, as it is for most things that people want to do, music and watching youtube clips and so on.

Does the sound work when running the computer from a Linux Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive.

If you get no sound there either, then the issue is probably hardware related.
    Doc

\_______/

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    You might want to try Fred Langa's "Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall" first.
    Thanks for this; my Logitech g35's have gotten all static-y all of the sudden. Uninstalling/reinstalling drivers doesn't seem to do anything so I might try this.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

You're welcome.
    Doc

\_______/

Looks like its hardware for me, I have ordered a USB flash drive sound card and will see if thats any good. Should be coming tomorrow.

OKay, thanks for the information on putting an OS on a DVD/USB drive etc. I did that so can use that in the future too.

The USB sound card I got seems to be working as I hear the crackle from the speakers as I plug it in (two different sets (first has a subwoofer)). But still nothing else.

So I learnt how to make a OS flash drive and put Ubuntu on it and loaded that up and tried playing some music clips from YouTube... This time - though still NO audible sounds, I could clearly hear the hum which increased with the volume setting from the left speakers (both sets of speakers).

This is how the original problem began sortof, sound off one minute and then back and then only playing on the left side, before going completely.

So, now that I have tried that and hopefully given you all the information, what is it likely to be and how can I fix it (if it can/you know what else to try)?

Thanks for your help so far and any further, (glad it helped someone else too).

(I'm back on Windows 7 - not sound either speaker again)
    Last edited by Mark-FON; January 8th, 2014 at 04:22 PM.

Try resetting the CMOS/BIOS Setup to Factory defaults. (Might want to take some pics of your current settings first though).
    Doc

\_______/

Will take the pictures - might not have time to do it tonight - have been waiting for a call coz of neighbour trouble and have things to do as ell with the PC. Will let you know (thouhg might not be for a while). Thanks

Thread Information