Target customers' card data at risk after store thefts
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Target customers' card data at risk after store thefts

Exclamation Target customers' card data at risk after store thefts

The information may have been stolen through card devices at Target stores, according to reports

IDG News Service - Credit and debit card information of many Target customers may have been stolen during the Black Friday weekend, according to reports.

The thieves got access to data stored on the magnetic stripe on the back of the credit and debit cards through card swiping devices that could have been tampered with at the retailer's stores, reported the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, citing people familiar with the matter.

The data on the stripe could be used to make counterfeit cards. If the thieves also intercepted PIN (personal identification number) data for debit transactions, they "would theoretically be able to reproduce stolen debit cards and use them to withdraw cash from ATMs," wrote security news writer Brian Krebs...

Full story available at Computer World,
    Click HERE

Target: Hack may have hit 40 million accounts

Holiday shopping itself can be stressful enough. Now Target adds to the angst with news of a widespread theft of customers' credit and debit card data.

Consumers who shopped at Target stores between November 27 and December 15 -- right in the thick of the high-volume holiday shopping season -- should check their credit card statements for any unusual activity.

On Thursday, the retail chain acknowledged a hack that obtained the names, credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and three-digit security codes of store customers who purchased items over the past few weeks, including the Black Friday weekend. Around 40 million credit and debit card accounts may have been affected by the attack.

The issue that let the hacker gain access to customer data has been identified and resolved, according to Target. The company said that it's working with law enforcement officials to track down those responsible for the attack and has hired a third-party forensic team to investigate the incident...

Full story available at the following link,
    Click HERE
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

From what I was reading elsewhere it sounded more like the breach was not at the retail level but an inside job at a head or branch office. Whichever, this is a serious issue for anyone with a Target card, and at a critical time just before xmas. I think too many of the entities that have our personal data are not taking necessary care of their systems.

In Canada the Post Office has just announced their intent to switch the homes still on home delivery to boxes that serve several blocks of homes, sort of an outdoor apartment box. They've been foisting these boxes on new developments for some years, and thieves have been feasting on them, breaking into them to steal mail for identity theft.

It's not just "Target Cards." All Credit and Debit card transactions made during the period mentioned - the info was stolen.

Experts say that if you shopped at Target during the period in question - get a replacement card.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    It's not just "Target Cards." All Credit and Debit card transactions made during the period mentioned - the info was stolen.

Experts say that if you shopped at Target during the period in question - get a replacement card.
    +1

And keep an eye on your credit report.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Ugh.

More bad news for folks who used their credit cards at Target during the holiday shopping season. Many of the 40 million credit cards that the company says were part of the data breach are already for sale on black markets around the world.That report comes from KrebsonSecurity, the website run by cyber-security reporter Brian Krebs, who initially broke the story about the Target breach.

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...#axzz2o30fQYfN
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Target breach happened because of a basic network segmentation error

Hackers gained access to Target POS systems using login credentials belonging to an HVAC company

Computerworld - The massive data breach at Target last month may have resulted partly from the retailer's failure to properly segregate systems handling sensitive payment card data from the rest of its network.

Security blogger Brian Krebs, who was the first to report on the Target breach, yesterday reported that hackers broke into the retailer's network using login credentials stolen from a heating, ventilation and air conditioning company that does work for Target at a number of locations...

Full story available at ComputerWorld,
    Click HERE

One in three victims of Target card breach could face fraud

One in three data breach victims in 2013 later experienced fraud, according to a survey released Wednesday, a sharp increase that doesn’t bode well for millions of Target shoppers.

That’s up from one in four in 2012, according to Javelin Research, which polled 5,634 U.S. adults over three weeks last October about financial fraud incidents.

“The correlation between a fraud victim and a breach victim gets stronger every year,” said Al Pascual, senior analyst for security risk and fraud, who co-authored the report...

Full story available at the following link,
    Click HERE
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Niceee...

Thread Information