Need Help in making Wireless Internet Work on Compaq 8510p (Vista)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need Help in making Wireless Internet Work on Compaq 8510p (Vista)

Need Help in making Wireless Internet Work on Compaq 8510p (Vista)

I am trying to get the wireless internet working on a laptop. The signal strength is shown as excellent. When I click on internet explorer, I get a message that there might be a problem with one or more network adapters in this computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Double check that all correct/current drivers are installed.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Are you sure you have the correct SSID and passphrase? What type of encryption are you using?

What's the hardware? If you have an older laptop with a wireless B card and the router is more recent and set to (WPA ?) the latest encryption only, you'll connect and get signal strength but no bandwidth. The wireless B cards can only do the older (WAP ?) encryption, and unless the router is set to use both types, you won't be able to load anything. I had to change the wireless cards in older laptops from B to G cards in order to use them at work for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    What's the hardware? If you have an older laptop with a wireless B card and the router is more recent and set to (WPA ?) the latest encryption only, you'll connect and get signal strength but no bandwidth. The wireless B cards can only do the older (WAP ?) encryption, and unless the router is set to use both types, you won't be able to load anything. I had to change the wireless cards in older laptops from B to G cards in order to use them at work for this reason.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8

I installed all the window updates available a few days, and when I go to device manager, it is showing the network adapters as working properly. In device manager under network adapters it is showing "Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection" and "Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN". I noticed that the driver date is 4/30/2007 version 11.1.1.11.

Is this a B card?

Would windows update give me the latest driver, or do I need to go to the manufacture?

Thanks

Thanks

It's an N card.
    http://www.intel.com/products/wirele...n/overview.htm

It seems like the drivers are working. You can try getting updated drivers from HP/Compaq. Windows Update is usually my last choice for drivers.

Did you verify the SSID/passphrase and encryption type? Did you restart the router?

I went to the hp website, but it did now show the driver for the wireless network card. This is what it showed:drivers.jpg

I had typed the password twice, but it didn't work. This laptop was also tried with another router and it didn't work.

What do you mean it didn't show the drivers? It says Intel Pro Wireless drivers. Second from the top in Driver - Network.

I was hoping to find "Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN" since that is what is in Device Manager. Also, the current driver date is 4/30/2007 and the version is 11.1.1.11. The version is later than what is provided on that page.

You can try reinstalling the drivers. Otherwise, go to the Intel site and try their drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...i+Link+4965AGN

I installed the driver, then turned off and turned on the moden and router and now it is working. Thanks for your help.

Thread Information