Rumor: Full Start menu in Windows 8.2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Rumor: Full Start menu in Windows 8.2

Hybrid View

Rumor: Full Start menu in Windows 8.2

Paul Thurrott is reporting that Microsoft will finally be bringing back the full Start menu to the Windows 8.2 desktop mode. Unlike the current Start button that Microsoft added to Windows 8.1, the new Start menu will be much more like the one Windows users have known and loved since Windows 95. Thurrott also says that the new version of Windows will allow for Metro apps to run as floating windows on the desktop screen, something that users can only do right now if they’ve installed third-party applications such as ModernMix.

Thurrott says that while these changes alone may not be enough to make hardcore desktop fans happy, it’s still "a good sign" that Microsoft is "continuing to do the right thing and responding to complaints."

More: PCWorld.com > Report: Windows Start menu to return in Windows 8.2
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

It might actually happen, this time round since they have a new Windows chief.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If Myerson can get the equivalent of Start8 and ModernMix built right into Windows, Windows might actually become relevant again.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

From what I read this may not arrive until 2015. In the meantime, a new version of Linux Mint is out, with a Cinnamon desktop almost devoid of dependence on Gnome and its always changing libraries. Businesses and others with needs to run software programs on Windows will still be stuck, but many home users can switch. The user world would benefit from more linux users to provide pressure to clean up the glitches in the nix world instead of yet another desktop or theme. I like to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    From what I read this may not arrive until 2015. In the meantime, a new version of Linux Mint is out, with a Cinnamon desktop almost devoid of dependence on Gnome and its always changing libraries. Businesses and others with needs to run software programs on Windows will still be stuck, but many home users can switch. The user world would benefit from more linux users to provide pressure to clean up the glitches in the nix world instead of yet another desktop or theme. I like to dream.
    Yeah I saw that the other day (I haven't had a chance to download it yet). Need to replace my other Mint installation on an old netbook.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Haven't touched Linux for the last few months.
    Since I'm still using an old ATi x1650 video card, continually ran into freezing issues. Must have tested around six different distros before I found indications that support had ceased a few kernels back.
    Support still available in Win7/Vista/XP.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

These guys think this is what M$ should do.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/12/5...t-menu-concept

Thread Information