Passpoint Express Communication
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passpoint Express Communication

Passpoint Express Communication

I inherited a Passpoint Express Access System, but I cannot get the XPPC to talk w/the panel. It is hardwired and had been working for years. When I try to connect, I get a "Failed Direct Wire Connect" message along with a Box suggesting 3 potential problems: 1. Is the panel powered up. (YES) 2. Check the serial cable connection.(Did) 3. Host ID Mismatch
    I do not know what this means. This phrase is not any of the Passpoint Express documentation.
    Thanks.

The Host ID is the number that is assigned so the panel could not be connected to by a computer that did not have the same ID # .It is described on page 12 of the quick start guide. You can find out what it is by clicking Config, then System Wide Options. Look under the Network/ID tab to see what it is. The default is FFFFFFFFFFFF. If the settings in the panel and software do not match, the panel won't permit the software to connect. I have a text file that tells you how to connect with hyper terminal, but it will only allow you to default the panel, not view the current settings. Does anyone else have access to this computer? Someone with more curiosity that common sense?
    Is there a second serial port? In that same setup window, there is a port option. That is the serial port it's connected to. If you have another, my first idea would be to try that second serial port to see if you can connect. If not, you could add a USB-serial adapter (The Tripp Lite USA-19HS is one of the listed adapters that the manufacturer recommended) set that to a port and test that. There could be a problem with the cable itself, perhaps if it got pinched.
    Lastly there could be something wrong with the MLB. If you have the software and access to another computer with a serial port, there's another way to test. Once you install the software, copy the contents of the Data folder in the install directory (C:\Program Files\Ademco\PassPoint Express usually) from the existing PC to the new test one.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful response. I would love to use my laptop to cannot, but I cannot find the install disk. The location is a bank, which had been in foreclosure and unused for 2 years. The card readers still give us access, so the system appears to be operational. Now that my boss owns the bank, we need to add some readers and make some changes.
    I will try everything that you mentioned. Do you know any way I can get the software to load on my laptop? Thanks!

When I returned to the job site to check on the Host ID, I was unable to see the Host ID#, by following your instructions. While in Passport Express, by clicking on Config, I do not get a choice for "System Wide Options" or "Network/ID tab". I looked at all the menu options, but could not find a way to see these choices or the Host ID#. I could not find a choice for "Create New Account" either (as shown on pg 12 of the Quick Start Guide). Am I using the wrong version? (Ver 1.12)
    Also, we may need to add more readers. Do you know if Passpoint Plus hardware is compatable and available?
    Thanks, again!

It's possible the user you log onto the software with had limited visibility. If you aren'y already, try loggin in as the installer (default user name and password is "installer"). I've included photos just to make sure, here, and here. I also have a copy of PassPoint Plus as a disc image here. The software is virtually identical, so there's zero learning curve. The hardware is the same no matter which version of the software you're using. The Pass Point family is no longer listed on Honeywell's websight, but I've seen listings on the internet to buy parts.

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Thanks, again for your insight. When I tried to login as 'installer', the default password 'installer' did not work, so someone must have changed the password. Is there a way around this?
    I made the Installation CD, but if I load it on my laptop and connect to the panel, will I wipe out was has been setup? If so, maybe it won't be a bad thing, as long as I am able to reassign cards/doors etc. I am just afraid of losing what functionality we now have.

I need 2 more card readers, but I cannot find Passpoint Card Readers for sale, anywhere. Are these readers special, or can I use another brand Prox Card Reader? Thanks!

I know of no way to bypass the installer password. If you install the software on a different computer, there is an option in the wizard to connect to an existing panel and upload all information. I'm not thinking that will be necessary, I'm guessing there is a problem with the serial port (which seems likely, someone who DOES have access (installer level password) changed the Host ID on that computer, or there's a hardware failure?). You can use any HID reader. HID made the readers for PassPoint, and they just stuck their sticker on. In fact, one of these will probably look quite familiar.

I loaded your copy of Passpoint Plus on my Vista laptop. It seemed to load, OK. But, when I tried to launch the main Passpoint Plus app, the app never completed opening. I could see it in Task Manager/Processes. I don't know what it was doing, but it kept using around 50% of my CPU resources, per Task Manager. However, it never showed up in Task Manager/Applications and the main Passpoint Plus application never opened up. I tried the other Passpoint Plus applications, such as User Configuration Utility, Report Scheduler and Help and they Opened up, OK. I tried rebooting my laptop; no help. Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Today, I uninstalled Passpoint Plus and then, reinstalled it. The main Passpoint Plus app still does not open. It is doing the same as yesterday. My laptop is a Toshiba running Vista SP2. Do you have any ideas why the app does not open? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iecman126 View Post

... The main Passpoint Plus app still does not open. .... My laptop is a Toshiba running Vista SP2. Do you have any ideas why the app does not open?

PassPoint PLUS User Guide (PDF)
    System requirements

In order to install and run PassPoint Plus, your computer will need to have the following minimum configuration:

Minimum
    • Pentium-II® 200 MHz

• 32 megabytes RAM

• 80MB free hard disk space

• Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0 (service Pack 3)

• SVGA video display, 800 x 600 resolution, 256 color

• Mouse

• Configured printer for reporting

Recommended
    • Pentium-III® 400 MHz or better

• 64 megabytes RAM or better

• 80MB free hard disk space or better

• Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0 (service Pack 3)

• SVGA video display, 800 x 600 resolution, 256 color

• Mouse

• Configured printer for reporting

Optional
    • Sound Card, Modem, and Internet connection (for custom event handling)

• Integral Flashpoint Lite (or better) Video card for on-screen video support
    --

PassPoint PLUS
    PC Requirements

Operating System – Windows 95, 98, or NT 4.0

IBM Compatible PC – Intel® Pentium Processor® II (200 mHz)

Disk space – 80 MB Hard drive space available with 32 MB of RAM

Monitor – SVGA video display 800 x 600 resolution (256 colors)

Printer – Configured printer for reporting

Mouse

?
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Good news! I tried loading Passpoint Plus on my XP PC and it seems to work. Must be something it does not like about Vista. Now I will drag my PC to the job and try to connect to the panel.

Good deal. That is what you get with older software sometimes, in spite of the talk about backwards compatibility. Making the leap to a Vista or a Windows 7 (or beyond) can cause real issues.

Please keep us posted.

Kudos to SpywareDr for spotting that and making the connection.

Thanks DanceMan.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Thread Information