Partitioning progarm that allows resizing existing partitioins w/ a UEFI BIOS
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning progarm that allows resizing existing partitioins w/ a UEFI BIOS

Partitioning progarm that allows resizing existing partitioins w/ a UEFI BIOS

Existing HDD with three partitions (one active) from a conventional BIOS to a UEFI based BIOS
    The 1st partition is only 10GB. I want to double it for Win7 (no games, non O/S files are stored outside the active partition. I don't need any more room). The 2nd & 3rd are storage that I want to keep. The extra 10GB would come from the 2nd partition.

Switching from a conventional BIOS to UHCI, is that any problem for non active partitions as far as loosing data and having accessibility?

I have been using EaseUS & Partition Manager, but neither will allow me to resize an existing HDD's partition without wiping the entire drive. I haven't tried GParted yet.

I'm looking for a program that I can boot from. Input?

(I hope that made sense, ask if it didn't)
    When not in use, turn off the juice.
    Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

Minitool is another one. Not sure if it will do what you want, but it says it supports UEFI disks. There is a bootable CD option.

http://partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    http://partitionwizard.com/partition...otable-cd.html

Interesting. Thanks.

Based to their comparison table, the Free version doesn't allow merging;
    http://partitionwizard.com/comparison.html
    Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

I merged two partitions while preserving a third with data, but it was on a conventional bios, no UEFI. I think I used Gparted, probably from a live linux distro. It's been a while.

I just tried GPartedLive and there is no merge option, at least not visible unless it is some hidden process. It seems the 'merge' function is a pay only feature by design to get you to step up to the 'pay' version.

Quote Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    I just tried GPartedLive and there is no merge option, at least not visible unless it is some hidden process. It seems the 'merge' function is a pay only feature by design to get you to step up to the 'pay' version.
    I didn't merge. I probably deleted the two partitions, then created one new one out of the unallocated space.

Almost any program will do that.

Can any program setup a HDD using GPT instead of MBR?

The boot partition still needs to be MBR for Win7. Minitool supports GPT.

Why do you have to use GPT? You'd only need that for partitions larger than 2TB.

Isn't that the purpose of UEFI and Win7 etc, to get away from MBR??

No. It's not. GPT is one of the common problems when trying to install Win7 on a system that came with Win8.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/what-to...n-styled-disk/

Ok, now I'm confused. I was under the impression this new & greatest UEFI BIOS with it's AHCI mode was all about not using MBR (except for that somewhat hidden extra partitions Win7 creates) and switching over to GPT.
    How outdated a conventional BIOS is, same goes for MBR with partition size, latly AHCI being more efficient.

My situation;
    1. Existing 1 TB HDD; partitioned 10 GB XP, 600 GB media, 300GB program, photo & document storage.
    2. Increase the 1st partition to 20-25GB from the 2nd partiton (resize & merge),
    3. Load Win7 in the first,
    4. Retain the 2nd & 3rd partitions without loosing data (it is backed up elsewhere).
    5. Save a image of 'C' to install a mirror O/S on a SSD.

Sounds like a new thread is is order.

If the partition is less than 2TB, you don't need to use GPT. You can still use AHCI with MBR.

I understand that, but a GPT is suppose to be effective and/or effective with Win7 and above isn't it?

No. The boot partition for Win7 must still be MBR. For Win8, you can use GPT.

Try reverting a Win8 OEM system to Win7. You'll see. Did you look at the link I posted earlier?
    http://www.nextofwindows.com/what-to...n-styled-disk/

Again, you don't need to use GPT unless you have partitions larger than 2TB. Your drive is only 1TB so it's a moot point.

Thread Information